Fuel - 0
Water - 0
Silicon - 0

Viscosity@100C - 9.44=SAE 30

Sulfur - 72%
Oxidation - 11%
Nitration - 5%
Soot - 0%

I ran this VOA because I am trying to do some research regarding 2-Cycle TC-W3 outboard oil. Curently, there is little to no information regarding what oils perform better than others. Unlike regular oils that we run UOAs on, 2 cycle oil burns, and only leaves traces of carbon and soot. The NMMA, who conducts the testing and certifies oils as meeting the TC-W3 spec, is not sharing any test info. -Joe

Thanks for the info. The High sulfur is kinda shocking. A lot of modern 2 strokes run Nikasil plating on the cylinder walls when the jug is made out of aluminum. But I do not know what they are doing on outboards. What is known is that sulfur and Nikasil do not get along. Check out BMW sights. BMW used Nikasil plating on one of their aluminum motors and they did not get along well with High sulfur American gas. Later

The sulfur comes from three sources:

1. The base oil,
2. The ZDDP
3. Olefin sulfide, an AW and FM additive.

MolaKule, Thanks for the info. and All your always excellent posts. Lots of good reading here from every one. Anyone have any idea if other 2 stroke oils would look close to this?

I think the sample was contaminated. TCW3 oils do not contains ash bearing mettalics like zinc.

Well this one does. In fact, it contains three metals.

The moly is used as a friction reducer and AW agent.

The phosphorus and zinc definately indicate ZDDP.
The calcium is most likely calcium sulfonate.

If the analysis had tested for sulfur, you would probably see about 300 ppm of sulfur from the ZDDP and detergent calcium sulfonate.

[ August 06, 2003, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Mola, It actually says "ashless" and to be a tcw3 oil it is sup[pose to be ash free. Now, is there any way that the test for ash is not affected by certain types of mettalic additives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back