My car got ticks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, while driving home, I noticed a tick walking on the center console. I must have picked up ticks while crossing a meadow earlier during the day. After stopping, I found 5 more ticks on the driver's side floormat, on the dash and even on the left A column. Luckily, I myself was tick-free and I put my clothes in a plastic bag that I placed in the freezer over night to kill any ticks.

Now, since I caught 6 ticks in my car, I can be almost certain I missed a few more. Ticks can go a long time without any food, so how do I get rid of those hungry ticks? Tying Bambi as bait to the seat is only my last option... Any suggestions?

Tick and Lice upholstery spray bomb.

Of course you will not be able to drive your car for a few weeks
smile.gif

Ticks? In your car!!! YIKES!!!!!!!!!!

You and three friends in white longjohns sit in the car until all the ticks jump on.
Let loose some of the ticks' natural enemies: spiders (?)

Boy, never heard of that one. We get lots of ticks around here, but haven't heard too many stories of them being the car. They will eventually jump on you and are prone to back of knees, head and your "grocery" area. Just start checking frequently.

Maybe I'll fumigate the car and wear a hazmat suit and gas mask while driving.
frown.gif

PS: Check the classifieds. I'm selling a very nice car for an incredible price.

Yeah, I guess... I'm not too crazy about the chemical hammer. Maybe I could sprinkle cironella oil on the carpet and the ticks will move out?
dunno.gif

On second thought, I'll cover myself in citronella oil before driving anywhere!

Wow, & here I thought we had lots of ticks in NE Texas!

You might try parking the car in direct sunlight, with all the windows rolled up fully & the outside air dash vents closed. That might get hot enough to kill some of them.

When I was a kid, in the summertime Dad would sometimes "dust" us with sulfur inside the waistband, up the legs of our pants, etc. He also used it to dust around the front doorstep. It seemed to cut *way* down on the tick & chigger bites, they really seem to hate that sulfur. Get a box of sulfur at the pharmacy, & put some in an old sock(no holes!), tie a knot in the open end & shake & swat with it to dust with.

Why bring that up? Well, there might be some way to use that to chase the ticks to a capture point in your car- but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to dust your interior & carpet with fine yellow powder.
grin.gif
Maybe you or someone can think of a way to make it work.

I've identified the ticks. They are Pacific Coast ticks, which do not carry Lyme disease.
fruit.gif

Ticks can also carry and transmit some other diseases, but Lyme borellia is surely the most dangerous, so I'm very glad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back