B2-HPG vs. Napa Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have the beta ratio differences on the Baldwin B2 and B2-HPG as compared to the Napa Gold (Wix) 1515.Thinking of going with the Baldwin B2-HPG on both my Jeeps.

I think TheTanSedan uses these filters. I think he knows. You might search under his user #
dunno.gif

O.K. So correct me if I'm wrong here (probably am)The regular filter for my Jeep has a 15/28 beta ratio...the oversize I'm using (1515 Napa Gold) has a 19/41 beta ratio...and the Baldwin B2-HPG has a 6/22 beta ratio.Does this sound allright?I've used the Baldwin B2-HPG on my Cherokee last year and didn't see any different readings on the gauge (which is a gauge,not a phony one like newer models)which is good.They are a bit more money than the Napa's but whats a few dollars in the scheme of things.

Unless you're peaking 75 psi there should be no loss at the gauge, Greaser. That's the factory relief limit. The B2-HPG has a bypass rating of 8 psi ..which would mean that you would have to push 68+/- before you would actually lose flow.

That does appear to top the PureOne for filtration. I'd like to test one of those with 9k on it like I did the PureOne from Ugly3. That still had a decent amount of life left in it, IMHO.

I ran a Baldwin B2-HPG in my car. It is an exceptionally well-made filter, but I wouldn't run another one because it took too long for me to build oil pressure, and my Supra's engine (7M-GE with a turbo) is extremely sensitive to oil pressure. So now I'm running a CHEAP *** ProLine Pep Boys filter and I'm happy.

If you want those beta readings and lots of flow use a donaldson p169071. 7/18 beta with 12gpm flow due to synthetic media.

I use them on all my mopars.

Dan

Dan I don't know where to get Donaldson filters in Canada.I can get the Baldwins just up the street at Acklands Grainger,they have to order them,with a little wait time involved but it's no big deal.I like the advantage of the larger filter (easier to install/remove,bit more oil etc.)but don't like the Wix (Napa Gold) beta ratio's for my application.I've used the HPG's on my Cherokee last year with good pressure results and now will give it a try on my Tj.Both have the 4.0L so I don't think there will be an issue here.The Baldwin's in the HPG series have synthetic media also.

Greaser,

The donaldson is full synthetic media, the b2-hpg is only partially synthetic. Dont get me wrong, I think the baldwin is one of the better filters out there, but I think the donaldson is the ultimate on the market without going to bypass filtration.

Dan

B2-HPG is fully synthetic. Baldwin filter costs less than $5.00 and the Donaldson was $14.88. I use them oth and find the Baldwin at least as good as the Donaldson. THe Baldwin hold 22grams of dirt compared to 20 for the Donaldson.

B2-HPG is not fully synthetic, its a mix of cellulose and glass fibers. I have had both and cut them up also. Baldwin is a very fine filter but does not flow like the Donaldson.

Dan

Greaser, as above, yes, I do like the B2-HPG [High Performance Glass]. I use them on everything and I use them exlcusively (ARX'ng or whatever). Dan is likely right about the DONALDSON P169071 [Endurance] being "better". The only filter comparable is the FLEETGUARD FL-3487 [Stratapore][#?] for extended heavy-duty service. The other filters named do not cross-reference the last time I went through catalogs.

The new AMSOIL piece [DONALDSON] may qualify.

I buy the BALDWINS from a local filter wholesaler, but the DONALDSONs from DETROIT DIESEL. I imagine you can find one of their shops. About $15/ea US is what we pay.

FLEETGUARD, of course, through Cummins.

To get the best pricing I have to order in case lots.

Since my son and I now have the only two vehicles capable of using this filter size (Mom got a LexYota last year after her 2001 XJ was totalled) (his "new" 2001 XJ Unlimited 2WD, and my 2001 RAM 1500 V8-318) I may go ahead and order the DONALDSON or FLEETGUARD by the case as we are both on 7-9,000 mile OCI's, or, twice-yearly changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back