Who Makes What Filter? - One more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who makes the Porsche oil filters that say, "Made in the USA?" I thought I remembered seeing one that said Illinois so I thought it might be Champion but they don't look like other Champion made filters.

OK Winston I have a question now. It's not automotive instead it's heavy equipment. I was told that Caterpillar has told customers not to use Wix or Hastings filters.

My question is who makes Caterpillar, Mack, Detroit Diesel John Deere CaseIH and Cummins oem and replacement filters?

Cummins owns Fleetguard..

Caterpillar has one plant that builds their own filters, it is managed by Donaldson (but Donaldson equivalents to Cat are entirely different construction) and Champ supplies few of their filters OEM wise.

Detroit Diesel branded aftermarket filters are or were Fram. OEM filters were AC and sometimes Champ.

Mack was a combination of Fram and Fleetguard.

Deere is Fleetguard and Champ.

CaseIH should be Fleetguard.

Fleetrite ( the Navistar brand) Fleetguard.

Komatsu is probably Taisei Kyogo and SMC.

Kubota US is Champ for oil, fuel, hydraulic..Donaldson for air.

Harley Davidson is Champ but you never asked that one..
tongue.gif

These answers are based on when I worked at Champ and it is possible some have changed but I haven't heard if they have.

Thanks,

I thought that Cummins owned Fleetgaurd but wasn't sure.

I also heard that the local Mack dealer complains if you run other filters than Mack. Just figured they wanted to sell filters. Mack made by Fram? Yep just wanting to sell filters...LOL

quote:

Originally posted by Filter guy:
As far as I know Champ still has the Porsche/VW/Audi biz in the USA.

I was wondering about that. The VW-brand 068-115-561B filters sure look like Bosches.

Another note: the big Purolator L40316 is reputedly made by Mann and recommended for VWs and Audis with those sludge-generating 1.8T engines.

Who makes/made the Castrol MaxPro CM-3429 oil filters I bought when Kmart decided to go Orange. It says on the box 'Made in USA' and Metal end caps, so it can't be Fram. Are these still being offered by Castrol?

Well, you can tell if it's made by Champ labs if one of the holes in the baseplate is bigger than the rest of them in a non-ecore filter. An ecore can be determined by having two sets of holes (for all except one part #).

I just took look at the filter photos on the FTE site that were posted by Big O Dave. The base plates of the Motorcraft filters look exactly like the Havoline filters on my 01 F350 - oblong holes in the base. I thought the Havoline were made by Champ but looks like I might be wrong.

I believe Mopar (Chrysler) filters, the common ones anyways, are made by Champion.

I work at a Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge dealership and they tell me its champion labs, we cut a fram and a mopar open for customers to see the difference on what they are getting vs going down the street to the local quick lube

Who makes the Kawasaki Branded oil filters. They have are black with made in USA. Seem to be same filter you can get with John Deere name printed on it for the Kawasaki engines as well.

If Fram makes some Honda filters, how come so many people give Fram a bad review?
I would think Honda has pretty high quality standards.

"I believe Mopar (Chrysler) filters, the common ones anyways, are made by Champion."

Wix makes the smaller diameter (3", 75mm) ones in the Dillon, SC plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back