New oil filter failures (pics coming soon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
Lubeowner, how would your business fare if you sold a good line like WIX, Purolator, or Baldwin, and had a display of various brands of other filters showing the damage? I'd be glad to pay an extra coupl'a bucks at a shop that went to this effort.
Ken

Just my $.02, but I can imagine Joe average showing up at lubeowners shop, lets call it "ABC quick-lube" expecting a cheap oil change. Then, as he is presented with the aforementioned oil filter display, he perceives this as an attempt to just take more of his hard-earned $$$.

Joe average says to himself "I've been using Fram, etc. for 20 years & I've never had a problem with them; these guys are just trying to rip me off." Joe avg. would not be a repeat customer & would tell his friends not to do business with "ABC quicky-lube".

Now, "ABC quick-lube" did their best to sell Joe average the best oil filter for his car. And Joe average's reaction would be 100% wrong, but I think his would be the reaction of 95% of the general public. After all, how many people REALLY care about the oil filter on their car? Most folks couldn't even find their car's oil filter. Like I said, that's just my $.02.

I am trying to sort out what is happening here. I have been here for 3 years. There has been little good said about the clickers, but no reports before this about damaged media. Can any body direct me to a post of one? In general all the Champion filters were well regarded. Things here confirmed my earlier decision to use ST. Since the ST 3950 I use is neither Ecore or clicker, I will continue to use it as long as Wal-Mart stocks it. At this point, I would even give the Ecore a try. Can't be worse than the years I ran Fram PH 2803's, SF Quaker State, and 6 month OCI's.

Lubeowner, OK all the Champion failures are clickers on non GM products. Have all of them you have checked had torn media?

Lubeownwer,

Again, thanks a lot for sharing your observations.

Did you cut open a Toyota OEM filter lately?
90915-YZZA2 that fits on most 4 cyl. models?

I think I will find out for myself next month at my next change as OCI spanned the whole winter. Not a lot of km but several cold to very cold starts btn -15C to -25C and short distance driving.

Might as well cut open the even tinier el cheapo Motomaster (Fram sourced) on my GF's Protegé's. Same conditions but she's harder on her car than me and filter's reputation for poor quality is well known here... If this one comes out with flying colors, anything then would be good enough!

wavinwayne,

You described the problem exactly. We tried to do that with the Mobil 1 line, and met with the same thing you describe.

Like I said in the other thread I am meeting with the local Wix rep on Thurs. to talk about switching over.

The Toyota filters I see are the Toyo Roki manufactured ones and they seem really good quality. Haven't seen any problems with them.

quote:

Originally posted by lubeowner:

The Toyota filters I see are the Toyo Roki manufactured ones and they seem really good quality. Haven't seen any problems with them.

Woops. I thought that most Toyota OEM filters were sourced by Purolator and made in the US.
dunno.gif

Lubeowner - I found out the same thing a little over a year ago when I was using SuperTech ST3614 filters. Two in a row ripped. They had the clicker-type bypass valve, and they don't appear to work. I've mentioned this a few times in previous posts. Here are pictures of the failures:

-

This pleat was collapsed, and torn at both endcaps.

-

This was a single tear, and this pleat was not resting on the center tube.

Neither filter hade over 3,500 miles on them.

Thank you for all the info on the ST3614 filters. I've been using them for a while on my Saturn. No longer. M1 it is. I'm taking them all back.

Cheap is cheap. You get what you pay for. Yeah, the M1 is $10, but it works VERY well. Running an Amsoil SDF-57 now. I'm assuming that these Amsoil filters are of high quality too...

Again, thanks for all the pics and info. This is the type of solid evidence that never makes it's way into Consumer Reports but absolutely NEEDS to be part of their report.

Thank you everyone!!!
cheers.gif
!

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
Thank you for all the info on the ST3614 filters. I've been using them for a while on my Saturn. No longer. M1 it is. I'm taking them all back.

Cheap is cheap. You get what you pay for. Yeah, the M1 is $10, but it works VERY well. Running an Amsoil SDF-57 now. I'm assuming that these Amsoil filters are of high quality too...

Again, thanks for all the pics and info. This is the type of solid evidence that never makes it's way into Consumer Reports but absolutely NEEDS to be part of their report.

Thank you everyone!!!
cheers.gif
!

Wait a minute, both the supertech and M1 filters are made by Champion, don't they both have the "clicker" bypass? Why not switch to one of the many other non-clickers available for a fraction of the price?

-T

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:

I wouldn't be too quick to walk away from SuperTech filters. They changed their design and no longer use the clicker-type bypass valve on the ST3614.

Now I'm getting confused. The new e-core's are not clicker-based, right? I have several of the pre-ecore's around...

The M1 a clicker-style?!? I just went to oilfilterstudy.com, OMG, you're right! For some reason I always thought those had the spring-loaded ADBV style. Taking those back, too. I'll just order a couple more Amsoil filters and be done with it.

Wow. I'm learning a TON today...

Filter construction varies with application. Some Champions have clicker bypasses some do not, some don't have bypasses. The E-core design has ADBV/bypass combination.

-T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back