classic car oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
i went to a classic car show today and alot of other times.i can't believe these very expensive cars and trucks i see use fram oil filters on them!!! whats the deal?

The deal is simple, while Fram filters do not meet the construction desires of BITOG members there are thousands upon thousands of folks who use them all the time.

I understand Fram used to have an okay rep back in the 60s and 70s. So those cars are accurate for the period!
grin.gif

Quite simply, it's not common knowledge that Fram filters are inferior to some/many other brands. We know it here on this board because we rip the puppies apart and analyze them, but it's still "insider" info to some extent. I wouldn't be surprised if certain common brands of car or flashlight batteries (or just about any other consumer product) are either superior or inferior, and WE'RE the ones who are out-of-the-loop since we're fixated on lubrication issues.

In my town we have a respected engine builder. He has pics of various engines he has built and some even have a dyno sheet with the pic. Every engine in every pic has a bright Orange filter on them!

I have told him about this site and even printed out the MiniMopar filter comparison for him.

He's still putting Fram filters on $20,000 engines
dunno.gif

Fram is the most widely available filter at the large retailers so that's what many people use. 95% of the population figures that if it's good enough for Wal Mart then it's good enough for them. I have heard also that a Fram used to be a quality filter in the old days. I suspect that's another reason why people still use them. Look how many people still won't buy Quaker State oil because of the reputation it had thirty years ago. It seems like that once a product gets a certain reputation then it is almost impossible to change attitudes about it. I've seen a few bad engine experiences with Fram and I personally won't use them.

I forgot to add something. I think many car guys see Fram filters on racing engines and figure that those must be the best to use. Those, however, are the Fram HP racing filters and not the plain old inexpensive ones available for three bucks.

Saw a car auction show on Speedvision, they showed a mid-60's Ferrari worth probably a million bucks or so with a pair of Frams on the engine.
lol.gif
crushedcar.gif

At least it had two filters.

quote:

Originally posted by eljefino:
I understand Fram used to have an okay rep back in the 60s and 70s. So those cars are accurate for the period!
grin.gif

Standards were probably different back in that era.
Who tore oil filters apart back then?
IR some "cartridge" filters had paper endcaps, although I'm fairly sure the AC had metal.
I first worked in a gas station 40 years ago, and don't recall metal end caps on those. Of course there's a lot of things I don't remember from 40 years ago!
wink.gif

We were so pleased with the ease of changing a spin on, that we really didn't care what was inside it.

My guess is that the other manfs. have actually put in some effort to improve their product, while FRAM uses the same construction methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back