Kendall 5w20 Blend 3856 mi. 2012 Hyundai Accent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackstone Comments:
Thanks for the note about switching back to the OEM air filter. The K&N filter was working well, as
seen by the low silicon readings, but there's nothing wrong with going back to the factory spec. Wear metals
were fairly steady compared to the last sample, so your engine didn't mind the extra miles on the oil. In fact,
we wouldn't be surprised if things held this steady after a longer oil run. Maybe even after a 5,000 mile
interval. Iron might increase (normal), but all else should stay around average. The TBN was good at 2.9, so
try 5,000 miles next. Nice job!

What is interesting is that I was reading/posting in the air filers section. People here really don't seem to like K&N and I saw some UOA's where they were not fitlering well at all....so I decided to get an OEM Hyundai filter and switched it back in after I took the sample. However, according to this sample, my K&N seemed to be doing just fine....Si was decently low....What do you all think??

Also I am a little concerned about the lead increase. Bearings? or is 1 ppm nothing to worry about?

thanks!
Code:
MI/HR on Oil 3,856

MI/HR on Unit 42,967

Make Up Oil Added 0 qts

ELEMENTS IN PARTS PER MILLION

Previous Sample Current Sample

ALUMINUM 2 3

CHROMIUM 0 0

IRON 7 5

COPPER 1 1

LEAD 0 1

TIN 3 0

MOLYBDENUM 19 15

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 0 0

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 93 83

POTASSIUM 0 0

BORON 82 71

SILICON 11 5

SODIUM 4 5

CALCIUM 2604 2248

MAGNESIUM 12 11

PHOSPHORUS 861 656

ZINC 920 694

BARIUM 0 0

PROPERTIES Last Values Current Values Averages

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 49.8 50.2 46-57

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 7.22 7.32 6.0-9.7

Flashpoint in °F 385 380 >355

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0 0.0

Water % 0.0 0.0
Insolubles % 0.3 0.3
TBN 3.5 2.9 >1.0

TAN

ISO Code

That moly is low for the typical Kendall uoa. 1ppm of anything is nothing to worry about at all.

Quote:
Also I am a little concerned about the lead increase. Bearings? or is 1 ppm nothing to worry about?

Nothing to worry about. Most likely due to instrumentation variability and in the noise floor.

Looks like it's playing well with this engine.

Originally Posted By: volk06
That moly is low for the typical Kendall uoa. 1ppm of anything is nothing to worry about at all.

Glad you mentioned the 'typical' UOA for Kendall. My local Firestone guys looked at the bottle that they used on my car. This is the SM gf-4 formulation. Maybe more moly was used in the gf-5 SN flavor? Also, keep in mind that this is the synthetic blend, not the full synthetic
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
Originally Posted By: volk06

Glad you mentioned the 'typical' UOA for Kendall. My local Firestone guys looked at the bottle that they used on my car. This is the SM gf-4 formulation. Maybe more moly was used in the gf-5 SN flavor? Also, keep in mind that this is the synthetic blend, not the full synthetic
smile.gif

The full syn and synblend have the same visible additive package. Usually has around 75-80ppm moly.

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
What about SM vs SN?

The additive pack in the SN version appears to be a little more stout. Either way this oil, whether SM or SN, has a very nice additive mix.

The 11 silicone with the K&N installed isn't high, but you see already on the first change with OEM you went down to 5 which is more than 50% difference. Also it could go even lower in the next sample. I think you made a good choice ditching the K&N but it wouldn't have hurt very much either.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The 11 silicone with the K&N installed isn't high, but you see already on the first change with OEM you went down to 5 which is more than 50% difference. Also it could go even lower in the next sample. I think you made a good choice ditching the K&N but it wouldn't have hurt very much either.

Actually the kn was still in for this sample. I switched it after sending this sample in
smile.gif
the only reason why I think that I got a lower reading is because the filter is slightly dirty so less particles get through.

Yes the filters do better after loading up but once you clean them and re oil I don't believe you ever achieve the same efficiency as when from the factory. From a thread I saw recently washing it opens more pores.

I that was your reading with the kn it's not bad.

Have you ever washed your filter or was it still on the factory oil?

I cleaned it 3100 miles before the original UOA. That might explain the higher than normal Si. I have not cleaned it since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back