2013 GTI M1 0w40 UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like this oil much better in this particular application vs. the PU 5w40. People can say "oh you used the SM or the SN" whatever, it carried the same approvals that I needed either way. What I learned is the M1 0w40 that cost me $23 for 5 qts at wallyworld IMO held up better.

The values on the Left are M1 0w40 after 3300 miles, the values on the right are PU 5w40 with 3100 miles. The Center are just average values of oils in the same weight.

I plan on going 5k then will check again.

2013 VW GTI 2.0T
2013GTI_zpsdc726a5d.png

Of Note, I do know the PU has lower SAPS than the M1 and was curious if the SAPS really play a factor in the Intake Valve Deposits known on this TSI engine. So I emailed Redline about their new LOW SAPS oil for my VW. I got a response back stating they didn't recommend the LOW SAPS and to use their regular 5w30. I replied back telling them the story about the Intake valve deposits and SAPS, Redline replied back stating they will check with their cheif chemical engineer and see what he thought. Redline did write back and stated that the Chemist there did not believe that SAPS or ASH played a major role in the Intake Valve Deposits. Since the SAPS is around .8 for Castrol 5w40 and the PU Euro 5w40 while the M1 is around 1.3 I thought it was a note to ask.

I did not request a TAN on the PU sorry guys, but did get it for the M1. Thoughts?

Jeff

Looks fine. I'm not sure the M1 report is any better than the PU report. Both oils went down to a 30-grade, not that it matters much. M1 starts at 13.5 cP. PU starts at 13.2 cP.

Your metals keep trending lower because your car only has 8K miles on the clock. It'll probably level off by the time you hit 15-20K.

Quote:
Of Note, I do know the PU has lower SAPS than the M1

How do you know this, just curious? I didn't see SOPUS publish this spec for PU 5w-40. Although, judging by VOAs/UOAs, the add pack in M1 seems a bit stronger, indeed.

The SAPS info on the PU Euro I found on a UK VW Website. Though their formula may not be exact to ours, I figure it was a guesstimate to what ours may be.

I have not noticed any difference in engine noise or performance using the M1 vs PU. Though they both look similar the PU sheared worse, and the TBN was a little lower. Factor in cost and how easy it is to find M1 and its a no brainer for me. Not saying one is better than another, but when all is said and done? The M1 is the better "value" per porformance $$$ IMO.

Jeff

One thing that I noticed is low TBN for both oils!
Do you spend a lot of time in the city? What is your daily commute? A lot of stop and go?
If that is the case, stick to High-SAPS oil.

I wouldn't consider my driving all city is more "rural" driving. My commute to work is about 15 miles each way and I average 70mph going to work on the back roads with occasional stop signs. After work I drive mainly city. Spend little time on the highway unless I need to travel some where. Living out where I live doesn't require a freeway to get around.

That's why I change the oil every 3-4k miles. Seems oil just doesn't last too long. How the dealer gets away with 10k mile oci's I have no idea. This is on California low Sulphur gas too!!

Jeff

That thing should be fine to 5k on that oil, probably further.

All those threads and discussions, and now we can all say "told you so".
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
I wouldn't consider my driving all city is more "rural" driving. My commute to work is about 15 miles each way and I average 70mph going to work on the back roads with occasional stop signs. After work I drive mainly city. Spend little time on the highway unless I need to travel some where. Living out where I live doesn't require a freeway to get around.

That's why I change the oil every 3-4k miles. Seems oil just doesn't last too long. How the dealer gets away with 10k mile oci's I have no idea. This is on California low Sulphur gas too!!

Jeff

Well, you can for sure go 5K.
And yes, CA gas is much better. I was using GC in CA, now in CO I switched to M1 and different commute (shorter runs) as well as due to higher altitude and lower flash point on 6,035ft lol

Originally Posted By: dparm
That thing should be fine to 5k on that oil, probably further.

All those threads and discussions, and now we can all say "told you so".
grin.gif

Yeppers.....

M1 every 5k should be the ticket.

Jeff

Jeff thanks for posting.

Considering M1 0W-40 has a 20 point higher VI, higher AW additive levels and higher TBN than PU, the resulting higher shear stability and lower wear numbers should reconfirm M1's position as the benchmark 40wt oil from which all others are compared and usually come up short.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Jeff thanks for posting.

Considering M1 0W-40 has a 20 point higher VI, higher AW additive levels and higher TBN than PU, the resulting higher shear stability and lower wear numbers should reconfirm M1's position as the benchmark 40wt oil from which all others are compared and usually come up short.

Thanks Caterham for posting, was actually waiting for you to chime in.

thumbsup2.gif

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back