RFA-2003 Toyota Tundra ATF Drain/Refill - 4.7L V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some help here gentlemen. In preparation for installing a Magnefine filter on my Dad's towing vehicle, a 2003 Toyota Tundra 4.7L V8 2wd, I just drained the trans pan expecting ~2.1 qts to come out according to the owner's manual (verified on AMSOIL's website). Well, as Murphy would have it, 4 qts came rolling out. As I understand it, there were only two AT's (A340E and A340F) that model year that came with the V8, and they both call for 2.1 qts drain and refill. By the way, for anyone who thinks I cracked the diff, I did that a few weeks ago and refilled it...I know the difference.

Should I refill the pan with 2.1 qts or 4 qts? If you have experience with this issue, please let me know.

Thanks,
P

I've got an '04 Tundra 2WD. 4 quarts comes out of the transmission drain. Not sure why the book is wrong, but it is.

FYI, it is fairly well known on most of the Toyota forums that the manual was wrong on this topic (and several others too). My Sequoia has the same transmission and it has always drained 4 qts...

Our old pickup is a 4WD 2003 4.7L Tundra, which I bought new in 11/2002. At 5,000 miles I added a Magnefine, a super-easy job on that model Tundra. Since then, I've pan-drained the T-IV (4 quarts) every 15,000 miles & changed the Magnefine every other oil change. At 154,000, the pickup shifts like new...but then my old work car, a 1996 Camry V-6 now has 300,000 miles on it and it shifts even better than the Tundra...and the 541E has never had one thing done to it other than regular pan drains with Mobil-1 ATF. Both vehicles have always been operated in one of the hottest and dustiest environments in the USA. The Aisin-Warner transmissions of that vintage are among the most durable and smooth shifting, trouble-free transmissions ever produced by anyone.

Thank you for the detailed info Sarge. I agree, based on my experience, the automatic transmissions in the Yotas are GTG. I'm not denying that some may have had problems, just that my experience with them has been good. My family (including gf) all have Toyotas...a 2002 Camry (U140E-Valvoline MaxLife) with ~245,000 miles, a 2001 Camry (U140E-Valvoline MaxLife) with ~152,000 miles, a 2003 Camry (U241E-AMSOIL SS ATF) with ~143,000 miles, the 2003 Tundra mentioned in this thread (~96,000 miles-Valvoline MaxLife-first change), and a 2006 Corolla with ~133,000 miles (A245E-AMSOIL SS ATF). Strangely enough, the only transmission rebuild we have had is my Dad's DD, a 1991 Toyota Pickup with the W55 manual transmission; however, this truck currently has ~389,000 miles on it, but had ~335,000 at rebuild time.

I am taking care of the automatics in the stable, and have Magnefine filters installed on all but the 2003 Camry, which I am planning to do in the near future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back