Flu season this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mystic
There will always be people trying to find any excuse for not getting a flu vaccine. I remember a woman at work who told me that she had never had the flu and never gets a vaccine. Well, fine. Maybe she has a perfect immune system. But I know I can get the flu if I don't get the vaccine so I get the vaccine.

And then you have the people who say there are harmful ingredients in the flu vaccine and the flu vaccine itself can give you the flu and there is some kind of conspiracy involving vaccines. I don't think the flu vaccine can harm anybody unless you are allergic to eggs and there are vaccines available that don't contain eggs. The most typical flu vaccine contains killed viruses. You can't get the flu from the killed viruses. Your own body develops immunity after being exposed to the killed viruses. It takes about two weeks. The other vaccine that contains live viruses is administered through the nose. You can't get the flu from that vaccine either.

It is hard for me to believe there is some conspiracy involving flu vaccines. Why would the government want to poison its own population? And somebody in the medical field would blow the cover eventually. There are a few quacks in the medical field who try to go against accepted medical beliefs and claim that flu vaccines are unnecessary or harmful. Well, if somebody believes that vaccines are unnecessary don't get one. But if you get the flu and are really sick and maybe even wind up in the hospital look in the mirror and blame the right person.

It comes down to one little shot once a year. I will get the shot. Not really painful and kind of like getting a blood test. I assume everybody here has had a blood test at some time. Well, getting the flu shot is no worse.

YUP! This is how it works.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Here's some facts on the cost of the flu to the U.S. Economy.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/2003/fs211/en/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flu_season

http://investorplace.com/2013/01/flu-math-how-much-the-sickness-costs-us/

Need more? Do your own search, just google "cost of flu on U.S. economy in a year.

Google? wsar10 will probably just say Google clearly has a Obama-health-conspiracy bias. You're wasting your time arguing with someone whose tinfoil hat is that tightly fitted.

So what you've proven is experts disagree. Some experts say only certain populations should get it. Others say vaccinate everyone.

People with similar education on the topic on both sides of the issue.

I tend to agree with those that say that not everyone needs it. That it's best when targeted and the most vulnerable.

If you want to believe a different set of experts, thats fine too. But don't claim that there are no credible facts suggesting that not everyone needs to get a flu shot.

No one is forcing you to follow any set of experts but the ones you choose. I simply don't want to see the freedom to choose taken away because one group of experts is currently in favor politically.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
jcwit,

I notice you are no longer commenting on the facts I've brought to the discussion.

Seems it's not just crackpots that don't provide a blanket recommendation, but some very credible, educated folks suggest that only certain populations need a flu vaccine.

Which seems to go along with the sentiments, educated or otherwise, expressed by many in this thread.

Unless of course I missed your review of the data from the WHO or the link to the Australian policy on flu vaccines.

Just countered your "facts" with the above post I think.

So what you've proven is experts disagree. Some experts say only certain populations should get it. Others say vaccinate everyone.

People with similar education on the topic on both sides of the issue.

I tend to agree with those that say that not everyone needs it. That it's best when targeted and the most vulnerable.

If you want to believe a different set of experts, thats fine too. But don't claim that there are no credible facts suggesting that not everyone needs to get a flu shot.

No one is forcing you to follow any set of experts but the ones you choose. I simply don't want to see the freedom to choose taken away because one group of experts is currently in favor politically.

jcwit,

I notice you are no longer commenting on the facts I've brought to the discussion.

Seems it's not just crackpots that don't provide a blanket recommendation, but some very credible, educated folks suggest that only certain populations need a flu vaccine.

Which seems to go along with the sentiments, educated or otherwise, expressed by many in this thread.

Unless of course I missed your review of the data from the WHO or the link to the Australian policy on flu vaccines.

Just countered your "facts" with the above post I think.

So I guess you're saying you agree to disagree.

With that said I'll side with the medical community. At least the major portion of it. Maybe that's why people come from all over the world to our hospitals here in the U.S.

Sure everybody does not need to get a flu shot. Well, actually, nobody has to get one. But if a lot of people get the flu shot and don't get the flu it helps to prevent spreading of the flu virus. A healthy adult is typically not going to die from the flu, although they might. The 1918-1919 flu that killed some 50 million people around the world and over 500,000 Americans almost seemed to target young healthy adults. They had to have mass graves in some places.

There were failures actually with the 2012 vaccine in America. The most dangerous strain of that flu provided they think only about 9% protection to at risk adults over 65 years old. Although 9% protection is better than 0% protection. Where do I get this information? I did research at the Center for Disease Control and other websites.

I will continue to get the flu vaccine. Why? Because I think it is common sense and every medical authority I know of says people should get flu vaccines.

But I am not trying to force my point of view on anybody. If you don't believe in the flu vaccine or simply don't want to get one that is fine with me. Don't get a flu shot if you don't want to. But if you get the flu look in the mirror. And if somebody close to you gets the flu, such as an elderly person who maybe was exposed to you when they came in contact with the flu, and that elderly person has to be hospitalized or dies what do you think about all of this now? You have to think of other people and not just yourself. Although of course today many people think only of themselves.

I got a flu shot today. I was going to wait until October 15 but I decided I might as well do it today. I hardly even felt it-it was less painful than a blood test. It was free with my health insurance. In two weeks I should have considerable immunity to the flu strains they think will be in circulation. Hopefully they will do a better job than last year.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Noo idea. I never get the flu shot, and I never get the flu.

Knock on wood.

+2.

I have taken Vitamin C for twenty years and never had the flu. The first ten years were with Kirkland Vitamin C (500 mg), Chewable Wafers. After ten years switch to a purer C, Twinlab's C-1000 Caps and consume half of it per day.

Originally Posted By: 285south
Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Noo idea. I never get the flu shot, and I never get the flu.

Knock on wood.

+2.

I have taken Vitamin C for twenty years and never had the flu. The first ten years were with Kirkland Vitamin C (500 mg), Chewable Wafers. After ten years switch to a purer C, Twinlab's C-1000 Caps and consume half of it per day.

But you have no idea about this year. I lived a very health lifestyle for years, still do for that matter. Thirteen years ago I came down with cancer. All that fine living to no avail. But modern medicine saved my life. With many many shots of chemo.

I had a close friend who claimed to never get the flu, he died last year at the ripe old age of 54, from the flu.

Last edited:
Well I will also have a 42% lower risk in getting a stroke for consuming C for more than ten years.

Source:

Myint PK, Luben RN, Welch AA, Bingham SA, Wareham NJ, Khaw KT (January 2008). "Plasma vitamin C concentrations predict risk of incident stroke over 10 y in 20,649 participants of the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer Norfolk prospective population study". Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 87 (1): 64–9. PMID 18175738. "...persons in the top quartiles of baseline plasma vitamin C concentrations had a 42% lower risk (relative risk: 0.58; 95% CI: 0.43, 0.78) than did those in the bottom quartile, independently of age, sex, smoking, body mass index, systolic blood pressure, cholesterol, physical activity, prevalent diabetes and myocardial infarction, social class, alcohol consumption, and any supplement use."

I had a close friend who claimed to never get the flu, he died last year at the ripe old age of 54, from the flu.

The actual flu killed him ?

really ?

not pneumonia ?

This one has been really interesting, as there is increasing evidence that the issues that arise from a lot of diseases (swine flu, meningococcal, tetanus) etc. happen after your body depletes its reserves of ascorbate.

Get the medicos to introduce ascorbate (often needs a court order), and kids don't lose limbs, and people survive...ever wondered why "hospital food" has nothing to do with nutrition ?

I get mine every October, when my employer offers it and the F.D. paramedics do the injections. Have not had the Flu in 14 years. I still keep with hand washing/sanitizer and other practices to keep the risk down.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

The actual flu killed him ?

really ?

not pneumonia ?

Nope not pneumonia, but the flu. Told his wife in the afternoon he didn't feel right, went to the hospital around 10 PM, died approx. 12 hours later in the hospital.

People die. I think someone else here is famous for saying that. Some day I'll die. Will it be the flu or death from some sex act when I'm 103?

Who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back