2008 Rav4 Tire Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has a 2008 V6 Rav4 with AWD. I’m looking for recommendations on tires before winter, she’s pretty much down to the wear bars. She got 40K out of the factory tires (Yokohamas I think) and then 40K out of the Bridgestone Alenzas that I put on last time. She does primarily highway driving, so I was hoping for more life from the Bridgestones but that looks like it’s not going to happen.

Some of the criteria I’m considering:

1) I work within a mile of a Discount tire and Costco. Unless there is a screaming deal somewhere, I’ll be buying from one of them. I lean a bit to Discount, because it’s closer and I can drop my car off for a free rotation and walk to work. Costco requires a trip, and sitting around waiting.

2) We live in the country, in WI. Some drift busting will be happening, so snow traction is a decision factor. We aren’t looking to buy dedicated snow tires for this vehicle.

3) I don’t have major brand allegiance. My FIL bears a grudge against Firestone tires because he “hears” they have weak sidewalls. I’m sure he also doesn’t use Pennzoil because of the wax issue… Anyway, I’m not sure what the consequences would be of putting “deathtrap” Firestone tires on his daughter’s car, but I’m not sure I want to find out. I’ll go there if I need to. His preferred brand is Cooper, btw.

My scan of all the tire rack reviews has the following tires interesting me – any thoughts, or ones I should consider? I’m a bit gun shy, since I thought the current tires should have gone further.

Firestone Destination LE2 (I know, but people really seem to love these)
Continental Cross Contact LX20
Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422

Buy the Michelin's from Costco and with the 70 dollar rebate they cost about the same as the Bridgestone's they are replacing. I can't speak to the Lattitudes but the LTX M/S2's are unbelieveable on our Highlander, though the Bridgestones 687's that came OEM were really horrible and I know the Alenza's are a much better product.

Another option would be to wait until farm/fleet does buy 4 tires for the price of 3 sale and get the Coopers then, or buy the Coopers at DTDirect and have DT install them. I'm actually looking at the CS4's for our minivan, they seem to get good reviews everywhere. Though certainly wouldn't have the snow traction of a more SUV oriented tire they get good reviews in that regard.

LE2 seems too new to me. Everyone loves a tire at 90% tread, it's how it rides at less than 50% that matters to me, and it's unlikely many reviews have 30,000 or more miles on a tire 18 months old.

My cross contact experience was a short treadlife one, though that was five years ago so who knows. I probably wouldn't consider a low rolling resistance tire in the 422 if you also want snow traction.

Though it's not a truck, if you can get the LTX M/S, I'd go for them. Otherwise sounds like primacy mxv4 may be a great choice.

Fellow Wisconsinite(own a farm plot in Northern WI) here with the tires I would personally run if I didn't have a 2nd set of snow tires for a Rav4, NOKIAN WRG2 SUV.

Madison has several Nokian dealers according to their website so give them a serious consideration for an all-season tire w/ competent snow handling attributes. Whatever you purchase stay far away from Goodyear Triple Treds. My experience was very poor treadlife on a properly aligned SUV. Great all-season tire while they lasted but within approx a year and a half I was down to the wear bars at less than 30k miles.

Let us know what you decide on.

I have the F'stone Destination LE2's and it's probably the best tire F'stone has ever put out. I have about 12,000 on them and the tread doesn't show any wear to the naked eye. The are quiet, smooth, handle well, and while there has been a small drop in wet braking/acceleration, it seems no worse than other tires I've had and far better than some others I've had.

we have Goodyear TripleTreads on the minivan and they are fantastic. I am not a GY fan--- in fact tend to avoid them, but the reviews were 5-star and they outranked the michelins on tire rack. no regrets. best GY tire I've owned. Note--- the lower profile version of this tire seem to get better reviews than the big fullsize truck sizes. I think we run a 215/65-16 on these. (the same tire on my truck only got average reviews).

I was going to suggest the BFG Rugged Trail, because they were awesome in the snow on our old Mountaineer, but they don't seem to be making them in any of the sizes that you may require.

Therefore, my only other experience is that the Yoko Geolander ATS tires that replaced the BFGs were not very good in the snow and were terrible in the slush. They were average at best in the wet and dry, but did make it to the 50k treadwear warranty. Avoid them if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back