CeriGlass Glass Compound w/Cerium Oxide

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad's windshield has some wiper-induced scratches and my Prius's windshield has some very light pitting. If possible, I would like to improve on these defects.

The CarPro CeriGlass compound seems to be getting very positive reviews, as it is the first of its kind to utilize Cerium Oxide to "cut" into the glass and remove defects.

Has anyone given this a try? I'd love to hear your feedback.

Thanks.

Reviews:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/43988-review-carpro-ceriglass.html
http://www.autopia.org/forum/carpro-us/143877-ceriglass-review.html
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/49160-ceriglass-my-experience.html

I used one with those ingredients for my Corvair and BMW.
Results:
On the tempered rear window of my Corvair, a lot of work and a second person spraying the water to keep down the heat. Reduced some of the deepest and most noticeable scratches, but not all. And made a mess. They are right that you should tape up and cover anything within spinning distance. Maybe with the right rpm and a lot more patience I could do more.

BMW windshield: windshields are not tempered, so the softer glass is easier to polish, but very hard to eliminate the swirl marks when you think you have finished. They will become noticeable when headlights hit them. Might be effective for light wiper marks, but forget about getting rid of pitting without distorting the view. And don't let your water spray assistant get distracted.

Originally Posted By: widman
I used one with those ingredients for my Corvair and BMW.
Results:
On the tempered rear window of my Corvair, a lot of work and a second person spraying the water to keep down the heat. Reduced some of the deepest and most noticeable scratches, but not all. And made a mess. They are right that you should tape up and cover anything within spinning distance. Maybe with the right rpm and a lot more patience I could do more.

BMW windshield: windshields are not tempered, so the softer glass is easier to polish, but very hard to eliminate the swirl marks when you think you have finished. They will become noticeable when headlights hit them. Might be effective for light wiper marks, but forget about getting rid of pitting without distorting the view. And don't let your water spray assistant get distracted.

Thanks. It seems like the results vary significantly depending on the pad that is used. One person used a Lake Country glass cutting pad and was left with lots of micro-marring afterwards, but all of his issues went away once he switched to the CarPro glass pads.

As I posted in another thread, I tried the Ceriglass today and it delivers. The candidate was my dad's 92 Toyota Previa with the original windshield. The Ceriglass was able to remove light scratches (ones you could feel with your fingernail) after 5-6 passes with a Flex 3401 at speed 5.

The trick to using this stuff is to mist the surface with water every 2 passes. The polish dries out very quickly (sort of like Meguiars M105, but worse), but misting the surface with water will "re-activate" the polish.

I would only use the CarPro glass pads and keep them cleaned after each section. The pads seem to work best if they've been primed, which is a bit unusual nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back