Napa Silver oil filters - A Trifecta purchase!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a confessed oil filter nerd but at least it's a cheap hobby! Napa has their Wix made "Silver" series on sale right now, I couldn't resist at $2.54 each to pick up a few filters for some fun experimentation and testing.

I found it interesting the 3 sizes I bought yielded me 3 completely different set ups and thus the main reason for my post now.

First up I bought a SFL1036. This filter is for GM App's and is a PF52/PH3980 equivalent. As such it has no bypass arrangement at all. Contrary to Napa's picture of a "red" ADBV it had a black nitrile ADBV when I picked it up. I will run this on my daughters Lumina which usually gets orange cans PH3980's. I will cut and post real pics when done but I am expecting it to be a very uneventful experiment, the vehicle has never been picky about oil or filters and this filter is basically a Wix made Puro Classic by comparison what's to go wrong?

SFL31036

Second up is the SFL31085. This filter is a Mopar MO-090/Fram PH16 equivalent. This filter is a "spec" filter for my Jeep and sports the controversial Wix "Combo" ADBV/Bypass valve arrangement. It was black in color as well. This will be an interesting experiment to see if this filter can pass start up muster on my picky Jeep, it's one I have not tested yet. I am not optimistic but its one of the few I haven't tried yet so I won't know till I try it this is a unique arrangement no doubt. Of course this filter is going to have to be autopsied in detail!

SFL31036

Last up I bought a SFL31516. This is an Motorcraft FL-400S equivalent. Again despite the picture the filter I picked up had a black nitrile ADBV. I found it very interesting that it still had the original Wix thread end bypass arrangement like a Motorcraft though, NOT the combo valve. Since the combo valve is also a thread end bypass arrangement I find the disparity a little perplexing. I will most likely run this on my son's Ford Ranger as my Jeep has already shown a pronounced dislike for Wix's thread end bypass arrangement at start up. This filter should make for an interesting disection as well.

SFL31516

All in all I got a lot of filter experimentation fun for a measly $7.62. A bit of a pre-teaser here but all will eventually be run and dissected. I mostly wanted to comment here as I found it interesting I had 3 completely different arrangements in the same filter line. On the front end I have to say these look like very strong contenders for consideration in the entry level filter bracket, and all 3 I bought were made in the USA. I have no idea how they can sell these for $2.54 and make any money.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
On the front end I have to say these look like very strong contenders for consideration in the entry level filter bracket, and all 3 I bought were made in the USA. I have no idea how they can sell these for $2.54 and make any money.

They are not making money at the sale price. It was to get you in the door to buy other high margin items.

I got 2 gold 1516 for I think $2.0X each. What is the difference between silver & gold?

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
I got 2 gold 1516 for I think $2.0X each. What is the difference between silver & gold?

The gold filters have a silicone ADBV. Not sure on differences media-wise.

KC, keep us posted!
thumbsup2.gif

Now that's really a smoking deal!

As he said the Gold have silicone ADBV's. They also have more media and apparently a better, higher efficiency media than the Silver's and Pro Selects.

I don't think the Golds use the "Combo" valve either but I could be wrong on that. The last Gold I had still had the Motorcraft style thread end bypass though, like the FL-400S equivalent above does.

Now that's really a smoking deal!

As he said the Gold have silicone ADBV's. They also have more media and apparently a better, higher efficiency media than the Silver's and Pro Selects.

I don't think the Golds use the "Combo" valve either but I could be wrong on that. The last Gold I had still had the Motorcraft style thread end bypass though, like the FL-400S equivalent above does.

Cut one open!
20.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Cut one open!
20.gif

Patience grasshopper! Run first, then cut.
happy2.gif

Cut one open!
20.gif

Patience grasshopper! Run first, then cut.
happy2.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Update for posterity.

I installed the first of these yesterday, the GM application on my daughters Lumina 3.1. I have owned/serviced this vehicle for 9 years and 100k miles. The oil light went out faster on start up after the change than I've ever seen before. Interesting.

I no longer pre-fill my filters so that wasn't it.

Update for posterity.

I installed the first of these yesterday, the GM application on my daughters Lumina 3.1. I have owned/serviced this vehicle for 9 years and 100k miles. The oil light went out faster on start up after the change than I've ever seen before. Interesting.

Where are the old cut open filter pics?
20.gif

Update for posterity.

20.gif

I took one of the Fram orange cans PH3980 off the car. I've cut and posted one before, it looked very good. No need to keep cutting and posting the same thing.

I do have some others I need to get to though.

Update for posterity.

20.gif

Filter rigamortis hasn't even set in and BOF wants it fileted open.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Update for posterity.

20.gif

lol.gif

DO IT! DO IT!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

lol.gif

crackmeup2.gif

He's as bad as I am!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back