Ford 5.4 L Gas and Delvac LE 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running a mixed fleet of Ford trucks - the E series 2004 - 2008 MY run the 5.4L gas and the F series run the 6.0 PS 2004 - 2006MY. The gas engines have had oil changes at 6,000 miles with 5W-20 and the PS 6,000 mile oil changes with bulk Delo 15W-40.

All are past warranty.

Relooking my strategy in order to simplify and improve. What risks do you see running Delvac LE 5W-30 in all engines?
Trying to take advantage of better cold startability, and possibly extended drain intervals to 10,000 miles. Thanks.

don't have the cold start problems that you may encounter, but I run M1 EP 5W-30 in my 5.4 F150 to about 12K for years and really haven't had any issues. It does get cold down here sometimes and never had issues cranking in that temperature. One thing about Fords, if you floor the gas pedal, the engine will not start. When it's really, really cold, I'll floor it and let the engine turn over for 4 secs. then stop, release the gas pedal, and then fire up the engine.

Dont see a problem at all. My dads work truck with a 5.4 ran 15w40 its whole life and made it to 150k before rust got it. Only failed to start once at -42.

Go for it

Just so I am clear, I do want to run the Delvac LE 5W-30 in both 5.4L gas AND the 6.0L PS diesel engines - year around.

My Esso rep is checking with their engineers. Thought I would pst the question here as well.

Originally Posted By: Brent_G
What does the 6.0 spec for allowable weights?

5W-30 to 15W-40 allowed, but the 5W-30 is recommended only when temps are 32F or below.

Thanks for all the input.

I am thinking for next steps that I should take 2 E350 and 2 F350s, set them up with the 5W-30 and run UOAs at 6,000 miles and if it looks good, again at 10,000 miles and start making decisions based on the results.

It's a little thicker than your run of the mill 5w-30, but it's certainly not overloaded with phosphorous. It has the SN rating, but will obviously lack the GF-5 certification. The TBN is relatively high, too.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
You should be running ford spec 5W-20 in a modular V-8!

not always.. they run fine on a 5w30 I don't like going thicker but it's acceptable.

Originally Posted By: simplistic
I would like to know where I can get delvac elite 10w30 hdeo. Anyone have an idea?

Probably an XOM distributor. Be aware, however, that Delvac Elite 10w-30 is not dual rated.

Its amazing that my 3V 5.4 is still running. It has close to 180k miles on it and I have been using 30 and 40 grades for the last 60k miles.

I found delvac elite 10w30 at a local distrubitor, it listed for $20 a gallon. He said he would be carring it for the new diesel engines.

Originally Posted By: jamesyarbrough

Its amazing that my 3V 5.4 is still running. It has close to 180k miles on it and I have been using 30 and 40 grades for the last 60k miles.

+1 The whole argument about running 5w-20 or 5w-30 is overrated. The Triton modulars were spec'd to run 5w-30 until CAFE said to use 5w-20.

I say use whatever oil you want between 0-20 and 15w-40. It isn't going to hurt anything. Albeit, I wouldn't use anything Xw-50, as it's unnecessary and doesn't offer any benefits unless you intend on racing your truck. Haha. But even still, 5w-50 is what is used in the GT500 which is the Triton modular engine. Use the Delvac with confidence.

Originally Posted By: jamesyarbrough

That is nice how often is your oil pump in bypass? How is the VCT system operating on a thicker grade compared to 5W20?

Using M-1 0W40 in a F150 3V 5.4 will not hurt anything but not gain much of anything either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back