2007 Honda Civic, 9,502 Valvoline Synpower 0w20 SN

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I have been interested in Valvoline Synpower for a while since it is specced for both vehicles I drive in 0w20 and it has a different additive chemistry than I am used to using. I suggested to a friend who uses it in 0w20 that he should get a UOA done at some point long ago. Surprise to me, he had a UOA done and brought it in to work today. Here are the results....

2007 Honda Civic R18
78,111 total Miles, 9,502 on oil. 5% OLM
Valvoline Synpower 0w20 SN, PureOne PL14610 Filter
Previous fills have been Valvoline Synpower 0w20 for as long as he has owned the vehicle. He bought it used with approx 25k miles.

Blackstone:

Eric: Looking at your first UOA, your Civic is wearing quite nice on the Valvoline Synpower 0w20. Wear metals are all below universal averages for your vehicle, so mechanically, your engine is doing fine. Your TBN was good at 1.9, 1.0 is considered low, so the OLM is doing fine at 5% remaining. We would recommend going 10,000 miles on your next fill. Nice Report!

Aluminum 4
Chromium 0
Iron 3
Copper 1
Lead 0
Tin 0
Moly 0
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 0
Boron 0
Silicon 14
Sodium 416
Calcium 2002
Magnesium 8
Phosphorous 688
Zinc 734
Barium 0
Sus visc @ 210 f 52.0
Cst visc @ 100c 8.24
Flash pt F 400
Fuel% Antifreeze% 0.0%
Water% 0.0%
Insolubles 0.2%
TBN 1.9

Got to love Hondas and there low wearing engines. That iron is unreal, only 3 ppm after 9k miles. Looks good thanks for posting!

Very nice. Looks like a solid oil and filter combination run for a true Honda MM oci. Only question I had was about the Na, but checked the recent VOA here and it is an additive of SynPower.

Eric should be pleased with this one.

Thank you for posting, this is the first VSP 0w/20 UOA I have seen posted. Appears to have performed well.
The best part is your buddy has used this oil for consecutive changes, I think this gives a better snapshot of how his combination is working.

My Honda FIT LOVES the synpower 0w20 SN better than anything Ive run - and not by a small margin. This oil really "feels" like a premium synthetic And I am not a previous valvoline fan or even the NA based DP fan. They surely got some "magic sauce" in this oil.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
My Honda FIT LOVES the synpower 0w20 SN better than anything Ive run - and not by a small margin. This oil really "feels" like a premium synthetic And I am not a previous valvoline fan or even the NA based DP fan. They surely got some "magic sauce" in this oil.

Every time I have run a Valvoline full synthetic it has been a wonderful experience also. Early in the Tacoma's life I got some almost FAR and the truck ran so smooth, and had that good feel that is hard to describe. I ran two fills of it. Its a shame I dumpled it at 5K, but that was for warranty reasons.

Next up is two fills of common 5w-20 Valvoline WB, left from that big Amazon pricing screw-up a few years ago. The one fill of it I ran before the current Mobil 1 was impressive for a dino. Smooth and quiet. Can you tell I like Valvoline products
shocked.gif
The oil stash is so big and varied, I just decided to use the oldest first till its all gone.

You know you are a Bitoger when:
1. you encourage friends to do UOA's
2. you remember when Synpower was FAR
3. you are very familiar with the Amazon pricing screw-up of VWB
4. you took advantage of #2 and #3

5% on OLM, TBN of 1.9. Wear metals low. 0w20 oil.

Everything working as designed. Good job by all the engineers!

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
You know you are a Bitoger when:
1. you encourage friends to do UOA's
2. you remember when Synpower was FAR
3. you are very familiar with the Amazon pricing screw-up of VWB
4. you took advantage of #2 and #3

Haha... Great post!

Originally Posted By: gonefishing
I see no moly showed up in this UOA. The PQIA report on SynPower 5W-30 also doesn't show any either: http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/valvolinesyn.htm

Is sodium Valvolines alternative to moly?

No, sodium is part of the detergent/dispersant pack for the most part. Valvoline is widely believed to use a lot of anti-wear agents in their oils that do not show up on cheap analysis. Their add packs are always yawners on paper here but the results are almost always stellar.

I find it interesting that SynPower is generally not regarded as an extended drain lube yet here it is still serviceable at nearly 10k. It must hold its residual TBN well.

Na is a detergent. They are using other friction modifiers and not moly.

Wow!
I was not nearly as impressed with a run of Synpower 10W-30 in our Forester.
Either the SN stuff is improved or the 0W-20 really is a better oil.
Insoluables are low for 9.5K drain.
Very impressive for a run of this length.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
The NAPA Syn looks to have a different base oil. I would NOT expect it to have the same results....

Can you share some info please?

Coz. when I checked with Ashland (See my thread here), the MSDS is identical.

The Napa Syn 0w-20 PDS that I linked on that thread is very close to VSP 0w-20 but does have some differences.

If the MSDS is identical, then I am thinking that there can only be three factors contributing to the difference:

1. The base oils mixed are ranges on MSDS. So the proportion could potentially vary slightly between VSP and Napa Syn.

2. The add packs are slightly different.

3. Either or both PDS are outdated.

Anyway, Napa Syn 0w-20 SN and VSP 0w-20 SN seem to be much closer than they are apart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dgsbikes
Originally Posted By: Cooper
The NAPA Syn looks to have a different base oil. I would NOT expect it to have the same results....

Can you share some info please?

Coz. when I checked with Ashland (See my thread here), the MSDS is identical.

The Napa Syn 0w-20 PDS that I linked on that thread is very close to VSP 0w-20 but does have some differences.

If the MSDS is identical, then I am thinking that there can only be three factors contributing to the difference:

1. The base oils mixed are ranges on MSDS. So the proportion could potentially vary slightly between VSP and Napa Syn.

2. The add packs are slightly different.

3. Either or both PDS are outdated.

Anyway, Napa Syn 0w-20 SN and VSP 0w-20 SN seem to be much closer than they are apart.

That statement is based solely on the PQI America VOA of the 5w30 versions.....

It appears to be using a similar add pack with different base oils. But, I have no other proof other than just looking at those numbers in the 5w30 variety. If Ashland is like any other blenders, they won't be making their flagship oil for others to label, they will be making a similar, yet cheaper version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back