Cars without oil dipstick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi people,

I wanted to ask if you know of any Japanese models that don't have an oil dipstick.

Thanks

Many of them don't have a dipstick for the transmission fluid,but I can't imagine not having one for engine oil.

Why do you ask?

Originally Posted By: Maximus1966
Many of them don't have a dipstick for the transmission fluid,but I can't imagine not having one for engine oil.

Why do you ask?

I ask because many recent cars don't have a dipstick at all!!!
They have a sensor and a light comes on when it's low on oil.

Originally Posted By: alexeft
Originally Posted By: Maximus1966

Why do you ask?

I ask because many recent cars don't have a dipstick at all!!!
They have a sensor and a light comes on when it's low on oil.

You're right! I was completely unaware. I don't have anything against adding an electronic sensor so that you have a warning on the dash, but you could and should still have the dipstick!

... if your name is Jimmy, then what are you going to think with...?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Anduril
I've seen some dipsticks behind the wheel I'd like to get rid of...

Yes!!

bmw cars have this system, just a sensor and an idiot light; sounds like a great system right?

wrong

one of my coworkers had (lol, foreshadowing) a nice 3 series BMW, and the sensor failed, it was low on oil, but no one could check because there is no dipstick to look at

the car threw a rod through the side of the block on the highway at 100 km/h

BMW blamed the owner for "owner negligence" and voided the warranty

nice

I have a 2006 cobalt and it doesn't have a trans dipstick. When the pan started slow leaking I just about had a conniption trying to keep it full. Nearly sold the car over that one.

I wonder if the BMW's in Germany and around the world have dip sticks and only the US and Canadian cars only use the sensor. Maybe BMW feels that North American owners are too lazy to bother inspecting the dip stick.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
I wonder if the BMW's in Germany and around the world have dip sticks and only the US and Canadian cars only use the sensor. Maybe BMW feels that North American owners are too lazy to bother inspecting the dip stick.

Whimsey

Nope, no dipstick here either (in Greece I mean).

One thing I like about my 2005 Subaru is that it has a dipstick for the manual transmission. None of the other cars I have owned had a dipstick for the manual transmission.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
One thing I like about my 2005 Subaru is that it has a dipstick for the manual transmission. None of the other cars I have owned had a dipstick for the manual transmission.

Saturn s-series have them but it's pretty ridiculous to pull and check since they're way down low and hard to get at. They also don't really leak much so it's overkill.

Of course if there were ever a car that should have had a low oil sensor in the pan, it'd have been these blue smoke blowing things...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back