Pentastar 3.6 (Jeep JK) Oil Filters Quick Look

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a few oil filters for my 2013 Jeep JK with the Pentastar 3.6L V6. Since this is a new vehicle for me, I wanted to take a look a the oil filters available to help decide what I want to use.

1. Mopar OEM
2. Purolator Classic L36135
3. Purolator PureONE PL36135
4. Wix 57526

A few photos in case anyone else is interested.

A quick look at the filters shows two families of filters.

1. the Mopar and Wix are made in USA and the Purolator Classic and PureONE are made in South Korea with identical plastic endcaps but with different filter media, of course, with the blue PureONE media.

2. The Mopar and Wix seem to be the same filter with identical looking filter media, plastic endcaps with mold marks and lettering, similar lot numbers (40HIX vs 40IIG) so the Mopar is likely made by Wix.

I think I will be using the PureONE (after using all four of these.

JB7B3917-1024.jpg

JB7B3921-1024.jpg

JB7B3929-1024.jpg

JB7B3936-1024.jpg

JB7B3933-1024.jpg

JB7B3924-1024.jpg

All those filters will work just fine. This engine does not seem to be "picky" about oil filters as some vehicles are. I love the "top end" access to everything too. Buy a MityVac 7401 and you have a really easy oil change. Nice Jeep!

While under warranty you should use Mopar MO-744 oil filter. Vehicles with the 3.6 engine have been showing up at Dealerships with DTC Code P06DD. Chrysler is blaming the stuck engine oil pressure control circuit on using incorrect aftermarket oil filters.

from what i've seen as of late, it would appear that Most, if not all of the mopar filters have been switched to Wix made products. IIRC they used to be Purolator Classic Clones.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
from what i've seen as of late, it would appear that Most, if not all of the mopar filters have been switched to Wix made products. IIRC they used to be Purolator Classic Clones.

Noticed that as well...

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
That's a big box for the wix filter. Plenty of room to rattle during shipping. Did they pack it with anything or just loose in there?

It was loose.

Originally Posted By: Billy007
While under warranty you should use Mopar MO-744 oil filter. Vehicles with the 3.6 engine have been showing up at Dealerships with DTC Code P06DD. Chrysler is blaming the stuck engine oil pressure control circuit on using incorrect aftermarket oil filters.

Do you have a link on this? What filter are others using with this engine?

While this should be looked into by a conscientious owner, that is a very broad statement with little supporting information. Mopar would love to have everyone hershey-squirting over using aftermarket filters and corner the market. As with the Hyundai bulletin that has proven to be largely overhyped, this may be a case of all individual aftermarket failures being lumped into one group, or one (cheap-donkey) brand in particular. Failure can happen to any filter, Mopar or OE no exception. Not sure that Mopar filters are anything special vs a quality aftermarket. The only difference, and it is an important one, is that Chrysler will stand behind the Mopar brand a little better in the event of a failure.

Last edited:
From the link provided:

"something i forgot, in one of the last class i attended we were warned, that on the 3.6L engines, some aftermarket oil filters are too short and will cause a fluctuation in pressure which in turn, can cause anything from mil lamps, misfires, etc, techs are being ask to check the oil filters for incorrect fitment, if found it is a non warranty item....including all repairs & diag

the 3.6L engine is significantly different....

these are not your daddys Oldmosbile"

It would appear that there are some issues with aftermarket fitment...

Last edited:
Nice write up and pics, thanks!

I'd use any of those in a heartbeat. Seems to be far fewer actual manufacturing sources for cartridge filters. The Napa Gold (Wix) I use in our KIA also come from S Korea.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
All those filters will work just fine. This engine does not seem to be "picky" about oil filters as some vehicles are. I love the "top end" access to everything too. Buy a MityVac 7401 and you have a really easy oil change. Nice Jeep!

I use a transfer pump. 8 bucks. Comes with the proper tubing and attachments to suck oil up through the dipstick.
I'll never get under a car to change oil again. And the transfer pump pumps the old oil right into the old jugs with a minimum of mess. No spilling from oil catch pan to the jugs.
I did my charger in less than 5 minutes.

Going to pick up a Charger today with the 3.6 at the dealership where my son is apprenticing, so obviously I've asked him about it. He said he hasn't seen any issues, like the deformed pleats in the Ecotec, with any filters he has taken out. Obviously they use Mopar filters exclusively and that is most of what he ends up removing too.

I think he can get them for me for a pretty good price so that is likely what I will use.

Side note....The '13 3.6 in the Charger at least is calling for 5w20.

Originally Posted By: qnyla
Do you have a link on this? What filter are others using with this engine?

The dealership that services my Dodge with the 3.6 is using a Mopar oil filter.

Links with the service bulletins

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f38/where-oil-filter-2012-3-6l-73188/index2.html

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/check-engine-light-low-oil-pressure-1371678/

What's interesting about the Jeep link is there are nearly new cars with this problem and cars that just had the oil changed by a dealer.

I also picked up a Bosch Premium 3335 and found it had identical plastic components to the Purolator filters but had filter media that was a different color than either the Purolator PureONE or Classic. Like the Purolator filters, it was made in South Korea. Also, I put the PureONE in the Jeep when I changed oil this week.

JB7B3980-1024.jpg

JB7B3978-1024.jpg

Geeez, are those cartridge filters long enough?
lol.gif

qnyla's signature:
"2006 Toyota Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD 333k miles"

Wow, you must be driving every minute you're awake. I have a 2005 Tacoma that only has 37K miles on it. Has your Tacoma given you any problems over that 333K miles?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Wow, you must be driving every minute you're awake. I have a 2005 Tacoma that only has 37K miles on it. Has your Tacoma given you any problems over that 333K miles?

No, not really anything too bad. 335k now.

Originally Posted By: qnyla
I also picked up a Bosch Premium 3335 and found it had identical plastic components to the Purolator filters but had filter media that was a different color than either the Purolator PureONE or Classic. Like the Purolator filters, it was made in South Korea. Also, I put the PureONE in the Jeep when I changed oil this week.

JB7B3980-1024.jpg

The box for the PureOne says "99.9% Efficient" ... but if you look on the box does it the fine print say "99.9% @ 20 microns" or "99.9% @ 40 microns"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back