K&N Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their cartridge stuff is made by Hengst, IIRC. It's possible they've farmed out other production to keep costs down. The website certainly doesn't say "made in the USA".

K&N oil filters are made by Champion Laboratories, or at least they WERE until Champ was acquired and became FRAMpion...Champ (Framp?) has plants in other countries so perhaps some of the K&N stuff is being farmed out now.

K&N prided themselves on being American made. Shame on you K&N!!!

Made in China probably like everything else.

Jeff

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX

Jeff

Things change. It's not like they're falsely claiming it to this day.

I've got a K&N HP-1010 with a lovely stamp on top of the filter saying-
"Product of Korea"
At least it isn't China.
grin.gif

Jeff

+1. But then again look at how many people on this site will defend Chinesium items to the bitter end.

I just want to know if they cheapened the filter like most of the Chinese filters. Bad filtration, bad components, no ISO standards, etc

Originally Posted By: overtorque
I just want to know if they cheapened the filter like most of the Chinese filters. Bad filtration, bad components, no ISO standards, etc

Tear one apart
56.gif

I'd much rather use a Fram Ultra, which I can pick up for about $5 less than a K&N. Among other things, I've never been a fan of the welded-on nut that K&N incorporates, nor the premium pricing they charge for a relatively pedestrian filter, and every Fram Ultra I've used has been (and continues to be) made right here in the USA. Just my personal opinion. YMMV.

My Dad uses a K&N for my Mom's IS300. Only reason he uses them is for the welded on nut on the top. just makes it easier to remove the filter on this particular application. I don't think he cares where it is made ha ha but he is assuming the USA I will break the news to him gently he he

My Dad uses a K&N for my Mom's IS300. Only reason he uses them is for the welded on nut on the top. just makes it easier to remove the filter on this particular application. I don't think he cares where it is made ha ha but he is assuming the USA I will break the news to him gently he he

IMO it's the only reason to use them. The internals are identical to some other filters.

Also, while it's well made, K&Ns were never at the top of the efficiency heap... at least the few for which I obtained that info (now likely obsolete).

My wife has a 2005 Explorer 4.6 eight, bought new and well maintained. I got 2 K&N oil filters with AAP's oil change Penn Platinum oil/filter specials. I heard that K&N flow better and have a higher can burst pressure. Two things this 4.6 doesn't need. She does a lot of highway driving and I try to maintain ~8,500 to 9,000 mile OCI's. I can return them and get 4 P1 filters. If I keep the K&N's I need to buy a 1" socket to use their vaunted nut. Just curious what you guys think, thanks.

Whimsey

I just checked my airfilter tonight, Its a Purolator , made in China and I was horrified !!
I wonder if their oil filters are made there?m Purolator now owns Mann.. Now what?

son of a xxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back