[Cut Open] TG 7317 / Honda A02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here you go folks, a comparison between the very similar TG 7317 and A02.

CAM000371_zpsf2e2ed5c.jpg

Same base plate except for the "P" gasket on the Honda
CAM000382_zps2a48ad3a.jpg

The Honda ADBV (on top) is thinner than the TG. The TG ADBV left an impression on the endcap whereas the Honda ADBV leaves no impression at all.
CAM000391_zpsf4279894.jpg

Comparison...the media on the TG is a little wavy and the pleat spacing is not as even. Honda has 49 pleats including the crimped seam and the TG has 48 including the glued seam. The endcaps are thicker on the Honda, not sure what difference this makes.
CAM000401_zpsba7772f7.jpg

The bypass valves are constructed the same, no more screen on the TG. The Honda bypass did seem to require less pressure to open. The TG was harder to push open, but not by much.
CAM000431_zps9d1e1360.jpg

Media of the TG is thinner and a little more firm.
CAM000441_zps8b3d9de1.jpg

Media of the Honda is thicker and not as firm.
CAM000471_zpsa66cb281.jpg

Honda
CAM000481_zps6b03e0e2.jpg

TG
CAM000491_zps9ea7c676.jpg

After checking out the TG and seeing how similar it is to the Honda, Ill probably run 1 to see how it works out (after I run the other 2 Honda A02's I have).

I would run the TG, I have used TG filters in 5 of my cars up to this point with no issues. Though it depends on the price difference, go with whichever is cheaper IMO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TFBird
I would run the TG, I have used TG filters in 5 of my cars up to this point with no issues. Though it depends on the price difference, go with whichever is cheaper IMO.

I can get the Honda for around $5.60 if I buy 4 at a time. TG at Wally is about $5.75 for 1. Only reason I decided to go with OEM is because it is made to Hondas specs, and it stopped most of the ticking my car was having with the Fram Ultra. Having said that, ill probably run a TG next summer after I use up my OEM Honda A02's.

While they look the same, the filtration efficiency is very different between the two. If I remember correctly, the A02 is 67% efficient, while the TG is 99%. Both at 20 microns.

This is a quote from another thread by Sayjac "While the construction looks very similar (both have silicone adbv) and they are made by the same company, Rank, their efficiencies are quite different. The Tough Guard is rated 99%>20um, otoh the A-02 tested ~67%@20um in Amsoil ISO 4582-12 testing. The A-01 also has no published spec but it's safe to assume based Honda OF specs, it's design and river_rat's testing of no end cap filters that it's similar in efficiency to the A-02. While visiting the Fram test labs last fall the A-02 low efficiency rating was pretty much confirmed.

Looks like it held up fine, but I'd not go out of my way to purchase either the A-01 or A-02, just me. And the A-01 and A-02 both meet Honda/Acura spec, but based on my experience the A-02 is the most common one sold at b&m Honda dealerships.

Thanks for the pics."

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2861591

Great comparison and photos.
thumbsup2.gif

It is interesting that there are some visible differences, so clearly some changes are made for Honda's preferences. I am guessing the endcaps are thicker since Honda spec's filters for up to 20k's worth of use. The Tough Guard is a very good filter despite the internet hate hysteria towards Fram in general.

As always, thanks for cutting and posting!

This is a quote from another thread by Sayjac "While the construction looks very similar (both have silicone adbv) and they are made by the same company, Rank, their efficiencies are quite different. The Tough Guard is rated 99%>20um, otoh the A-02 tested ~67%@20um in Amsoil ISO 4582-12 testing. The A-01 also has no published spec but it's safe to assume based Honda OF specs, it's design and river_rat's testing of no end cap filters that it's similar in efficiency to the A-02. While visiting the Fram test labs last fall the A-02 low efficiency rating was pretty much confirmed.

Looks like it held up fine, but I'd not go out of my way to purchase either the A-01 or A-02, just me. And the A-01 and A-02 both meet Honda/Acura spec, but based on my experience the A-02 is the most common one sold at b&m Honda dealerships.

Thanks for the pics."

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2861591

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. If not for Amsoil's 2011 ISO testing of the A02, folks would still think it was a TG in blue can. As far as efficiency goes, not even in the same ball park. But, one correction to that post after I was rudely corrected by someone of the anal retentive persuasion. There's no hyphen between the A and the first digit. But somehow I'm quite sure there was no doubt about which filter was being referenced.
56.gif

Both filters are of decent construction. And I already knew about the efficiency ratings. The 66% for Honda doesnt bother me since it is what Honda spec'd. I wouldnt mind having better efficiency, but again that will make it more restrictive and I kind of favor flow over filtration for my driving style. Both are good filters though, no doubt.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

I can get the Honda for around $5.60 if I buy 4 at a time. TG at Wally is about $5.75 for 1. Only reason I decided to go with OEM is because it is made to Hondas specs, and it stopped most of the ticking my car was having with the Fram Ultra. Having said that, ill probably run a TG next summer after I use up my OEM Honda A02's.

Why not just get a P1 filter? $5.99 at AAP and use coupon code P20 get it for ~$4.80 or less if you buy in bulk and use the other coupon codes. If you really want to stick with Honda, get the A01 filters here:
http://www.handa-accessories.com/accmaint06.html

Thanks greg! I am in agreeance that the Fram TG is not a filter to fear at all, on the contrary it is more efficient than its counterpart the Purolator P1 PL14610. Fear not the Fram...lol Really most name brand filters are very good.

Thanks for posting and cutting. Interesting to compare and contrast. FYI to all, there are also pics of the XG7317 here as well from last year. It's the full syn version of this application.

Originally Posted By: adolan21
Why not just get a P1 filter? $5.99 at AAP and use coupon code P20 get it for ~$4.80 or less if you buy in bulk and use the other coupon codes...

That's very reasonable for a PL14610. I've used several on my 3.0L Accord in past and right now for that matter. If not for running another solid filter the BD+3323 two MM oci's to 13.5k miles I've run the PL14610 on said vehicle a few 15%MM oci's and most recently 7800 miles on an 01 Civic with excellent results. Got to love the AAP codes.

Never had any start up noise issues with the Hondas I've owned. In fact no issues with any filter used on a Honda.

Your welcome! I enjoy doing it, plus it helps other better choose which filter is best for there vehicle.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
The Honda filter is better built because Honda recommends using their oil filter for 8127 OCIs.
27.gif

Honda says max 2 OCI. But I am a 1 filter 1 OCI type person so it only gets used for one, but yes the Honda is a little "tougher" than the tough guard. The Honda has thicker endcaps.

The Honda filter is better built because Honda recommends using their oil filter for 8127 OCIs.
27.gif

Honda says max 2 OCI. But I am a 1 filter 1 OCI type person so it only gets used for one, but yes the Honda is a little "tougher" than the tough guard. The Honda has thicker endcaps.

Makes sense, if you follow Fram's TG recommendation it's a 10k filter. If you follow Honda's OCI schedule with alternating FCI the filter could be used for up to 20k.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
27.gif

Makes sense, if you follow Fram's TG recommendation it's a 10k filter. If you follow Honda's OCI schedule with alternating FCI the filter could be used for up to 20k.

I think the most I would use a TG for would be 7500 miles. A Honda filter I would use up to 10,000 miles. But to each there own. Im going to see how long I can hold off on changing my oil this time around. Since the severe OCI of the 2.4 was 5000 miles before it went to the MM system, thats probably as long as I will let it go, unless the MM goes off sooner. Running PP 0w20 and Honda A02 as you see in my sig. And my driving definitely qualifies for the severe recommendation.

Last edited:
Looks like a comparison of dog excrement from two different breeds. "premium" OCOD. IMO, a NAPA pro select is a better filter at a lower price. Just my $0.02
28.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: asand1
Looks like a comparison of dog excrement from two different breeds. "premium" OCOD. IMO, a NAPA pro select is a better filter at a lower price. Just my $0.02
28.gif

To each there own. The fiber end caps are not a problem with me at all, and the TG has syn blend media. I also like the fact that its very similar to the A02. A couple on here have reported that the TG had quieted there noisy engines on start up. The silicon ADBV was a little more "hefty" than the A02 which I liked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back