CRV serpentine belt change

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003, shouldn't be that bad, right? MIL has this vehicle, and dealer recommends replacement on next visit (120k or so), for $195. Seems like something I should be able to do and win some brownie points.

Save your self a lot of time an support the motor from under the oil pan and remove the motor mount on the pass side completely a 10mm gound and all 3 17mm get it out of the way opens up everything also use a piece of wood or some to not dent the oil pan. You can do it your self

Wow that's cheap I'd have the dealer do it, every timing belt change I've had done was $500 or more....
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: zloveraz
Wow that's cheap I'd have the dealer do it, every timing belt change I've had done was $500 or more....
crazy2.gif

Only this isn't a timing belt but rather an exterior belt that should be way easier to replace than $195 implies (1.5 hr or so to swap a $20 bet).

Part of the challenge of transverse engines in fwd platforms.

if there's lots of auxiliary belts to be removed before reaching in to the serpentine belt, then yeah, it's not uncommon to spend up to 1.5 or 2 hrs to replace the main serpentine belt.

With the exception of some Honda with electric steering set up, almost all of them would require you to remove the power steering belt first before you can reach in to replace serpentine belt.

Normally when that's being called for, I replace all the belts including power steering pump belt.

Q.

Check your idler pulley while you do this...Mine went bad about a year ago (same engine as yours). Had the pulley and serpentine belt changed. The belt was only $125 to have changed with a NAPA belt. And the pulley was closer to $175.

I have done one of these before and I can tell you that the job is absolutely terrible. This is probably the most difficult one that I have done...in comparison, I can do a Gen 7 Accord's 2.4 in about 5 minutes. The CRV fought me for an hour.

There's no way that you can get enough swing from the top to fully dis-engage the tensioner. Even if you use a zero-offset 14mm wrench.

The only way to disengage the tensioner is from the bottom, but then you'll have trouble getting the belt onto the tensioner unless you have a helper. The belt is very, very tight.

I am able to get it from the top using a standard 14mm craftman combination wrench. Closed end on the tensioner, 3/8 breaker bar dropped into the open end for leverage. Just have to be careful the two don't slip while you are leveraging. Popping the PS reservoir out of the mount gives extra room for stroke. I think the shorter combo wrench allows you to set the motion farther forward. Threading the belt is a pain, took me 30 min. Set the belt up on the tensioner while there is still slack and then make the most accessible top pulley the one you work with last.

Last edited:
If it takes a pro an hour or more then it will take me a day to do--past my abilities. Thanks guys, won't offer to do this one.

There is a trick to the CR-V's serpentine belt. I can change our '08 belt in about 10 minutes. You have to remove the power steering reservoir from its mount and let it hang free. Also, remove the plastic radiator cover shroud. With these two either free or removed, you can rotate the tensioner forward enough to do the belt from the top. And it takes little effort.

I was crawling under the car until I found that trick. I don't know about a 2nd generation CR-V (2003), but it may be similar. I wouldn't pay $200 at a dealer...

Maybe I should have taken the dealer up on the offer of $40 to change mine during a power steering free warranty fix(stiff) on my MDX with 100k. It was replaced at 80k supposedly so I was wary on them stating it was cracked.....

Hokiefyd.

Your great tip led me to Google where there are lots of tips on the OP's 2003 serp belt replacement that makes it look very diy-able. I'm sure the pro techs must know about this, yet they still charge that 1 -1.5 hr. book rate.

Here's one google hit that show's Hoky's shortcuts:

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
There is a trick to the CR-V's serpentine belt. I can change our '08 belt in about 10 minutes. You have to remove the power steering reservoir from its mount and let it hang free. Also, remove the plastic radiator cover shroud. With these two either free or removed, you can rotate the tensioner forward enough to do the belt from the top. And it takes little effort.

I was crawling under the car until I found that trick. I don't know about a 2nd generation CR-V (2003), but it may be similar. I wouldn't pay $200 at a dealer...

I'm going to say that you simply better dexterity (and skill level) than me. I removed the p/s reservoir and the shrouds, and it was still troublesome.

The main issue I had was with slipping the belt over the top pulley. When you have a wrench on the auto-tensioner, there is not enough space between the wrench and the frame rail to pull the belt over the top pulley.

The only way that I was able to get the belt on was with a second person pushing the belt onto the tensioner pulley...while I was dis-engaging the tensioner from underneath.

If I ever make it over to your neck of the woods, I'd love to see you do this job - because this one still has me baffled.

Buy a Snap-On swivel head ratchet with the long handle. You'd be amazed how much you'll use it. You can swivel the ratchet handle any way you want to and that'll make this job a lot easier.

Originally Posted By: supton
If it takes a pro an hour or more then it will take me a day to do--past my abilities. Thanks guys, won't offer to do this one.

If it take a pro 30 minutes or more then it passes my abilities(and my limited tool set).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back