AC Ultraguard Golds - How do they rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On LS1 and other boards, I have read where the AC Ultraguard golds were one of the best oil filters. However, I have not read much about them here.

What does everyone think about them?

They were my favorite as well. Too bad PepBoys only had one left in my size when they had them on sale for $4 each. I'm back to Mobil 1 filters now.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
As I have stated many times on LS1.com, I believe these to be the best filters made, it's too bad they discontinued them
frown.gif

Well, they aren't all gone, they still make the UPF44, the tiny stock filter for the LS1, but I feel this filter is way too small for an engine with such a large oil capacity (especially in the Vette with their 7 quart oil pan!)

Who says they were discontinued? I know Pep Boys stopped carrying them, but I order mine online directly from AC Delco. Besides that, all the product technical specs are still up at acdelco.com.

quote:

Originally posted by kev99sl:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
As I have stated many times on LS1.com, I believe these to be the best filters made, it's too bad they discontinued them
frown.gif

Well, they aren't all gone, they still make the UPF44, the tiny stock filter for the LS1, but I feel this filter is way too small for an engine with such a large oil capacity (especially in the Vette with their 7 quart oil pan!)

Who says they were discontinued? I know Pep Boys stopped carrying them, but I order mine online directly from AC Delco. Besides that, all the product technical specs are still up at acdelco.com.

Unfortunately it is indeed true. I emailed AC Delco and they sent me a response back, which I saved, but it's on my home computer. They say they weren't selling well enough, but due to overwhelming demand (from C5 owners) they are continuing to make the UPF44 filter.

Production has stopped, but I'm sure some places still have leftover filters, so that's probably what you are getting right now. I just heard of someone on LS1.com who got a case of the UPF58s. Lucky guy!

They did a pretty poor job of marketing them. I did not hear about them until the discontiued notice came through the grapevine. Oh well, Mobil 1 will do.

They definitely did a poor job of marketing them! Their decision to only sell in Pepboys and select GM dealers was a very dumb move. Had they sold in the same stores as all the Mobil 1 filters, they would've cleaned up in the sales department. They were always a dollar cheaper than M1, yet better quality.

FYI, both filters were made by Champion Labs (as well as the K&N), however the Ultraguard specs are much better (filters 98% of particles 8-10 microns and larger, versus 98% of 15-20 microns for the K&N, and I believe the M1 is 98% at 10-12 microns)

[ June 20, 2002, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

frown.gif

I still use them since I Bought a case of the UPF52's back in December.

I talked to AC-Delco about six months ago about why they were only sold at dealerships and Pepboys. They told me that these were the only two places that would agree to carry this line of filters. The rest of the Autoparts stores and places that sell filters, were not interested. They said that since they were selling so poorly, they were not cost effective to produce anymore.

I've used these filters for almost three years but cannot really tell you if they are better than the regular Delco's.

I am still buying ACDelco UPF52 Ultraguard Gold (GM-25322836) oil filters. They are still available from any GM dealer as of November 15, 2009.

Wow ... 7+ year time warp on this thread.
lol.gif

06/26/02 07:08 AM ---- (time warp) ----> 11/15/09 09:24 AM

The Ultragaurd filters are good ... supposed to be one of the best flowing filters around, and high filtering effiecency. 100% synthetic media.

This flow vs PSID chart originally came from ACDelco, when the Ultraguards hit the streets, showing the flow performance of the Ultraguard filters.

pi_filt_oil_gold_coldoil_thumb.jpg

"not read much about them here."

there's been a study by our own river-rat that shows there top of the line in filtration,i buy them by the case's great filter just not available in most apps.

Originally Posted By: daman

there's been a study by our own river-rat that shows there top of the line in filtration,i buy them by the case's great filter just not available in most apps.

The OP started this thread on 06/19/02 @ 08:56 PM ... at that time there probably "wasn't much about them here" because that's about when the Ultragaurds first came out.

NOTE - This is a 7+ year old thread that has been revived.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Originally Posted By: daman

The OP started this thread on 06/19/02 @ 08:56 PM ... at that time there probably "wasn't much about them here" because that's about when the Ultragaurds first came out.

NOTE - This is a 7+ year old thread that has been revived.

yes i know that,,just adding my comment to the other's in this old thread for new members reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back