06 BMW 550i Unknown oil 14,200 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil that came in with car when we got it. Blackstone put the wrong engine on pdf. It's 4.8L V8.
This car made a round-trip from Louisville,KY to Toronto Canada,and to Chicago. Oil filter that was installed was Hengst.
It now has Mag 1 5w-40 Euro in it+2 cans of older stock LM MoS2,will keep it there for a year, even if I will have much lower miles this year (got it in September, and were told that oil was changed prior),but who knows how long it was sitting before sale.
Never seen 0 TBN UOA yet.
Oils added were: Motul 5w-40 ll-04 1L at around 8k mark, and about liter of Delvac 15w-40 and leftovers from LM Ceratec can close to the end of OCI.
9473143181_2587ce1c7d_b.jpg

Originally Posted By: oliveoil
Looks fantastic. Did the OLM go to 0?

Had 800 miles left. Starts from 15k. Sump = 8 liters

I'd be curious as to what oil was used, considering the viscosity, particularly considering the make-up oil used. I'm guessing a non A3-rated 5W30.

That said, I think their recommendations to continue 14K OCIs is a poor one. Spectrographic analysis isn't going to catch much in the way of "wear", and it's certainly not going to give an indication as to the building of deposits in the engine. There's no neutralizing additive left in the oil even with the make-up oil--it's overdone. Using wear metals to support this length of OCI is a clear example of how not to use a UOA.

Follow the OLM with approved oil. Those things have a huge oil filter, and sumps (8lt!) But use only approved oil. M1 0-40 or GC 0-30 (Castrol) are my favorites. I have 2 BMWs, 2000 M5 and 98 M3 (DINAN). Both would work well with you v8.

We have a mod active in this forum who'd say that this UOA is a perfect example of the potential for very long drains.
Lest I put words in his mouth, I hope he'll comment on this UOA.
We have TBN but not TAN, but with adds, the oil appears not to be excessively oxidized.
It doesn't seem to have thickened.
Insoluables look good for the miles run.
This seems like a reasonable OCI for the way you used the car,
although the long trip can only have been very easy on the oil.
There's no reason to think that nasty things are happening unseen.

+1 when TBN is at 0 TAN will be up and at that point or earlier bearing wear and sludge buildup can start no need to run to bitter end

Last edited:
Yeah, my father drives it mostly, and likes to follow manual. Was hard to make him change tranny oil and filter. Now convincing him to change gear oil, he thinks it is not necessary. Have some ll-01 oil in sump now and some M1 and little valvoline syn gear oil to go into diff.

Last edited:
Amazing, a TBN of 0. I personally woulc back off on the miles to 10,000 and resample with a quality BMW approved oil. Perhaps Lubro-Moly or Mobil 1 Euro?

It's funny how Blackstone say don't worry about TBN being zero when they are usually consistent with "anything below 1 is too low".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back