Status
Not open for further replies.
2001 toyota celica gt 1zz-fe engine and auto transmission
2000 toyota celica gts 2zz-fe engine and auto transmission

What engine oil for my gt?
What transmission oil for my gt?
What engine oil for my gts?
What transmission oil for my gts?

Both auto transmission currently have castrol import ATF via 3x drain n refill method(drove 50 miles between each drain n refill to circulate the fluid in each gear), the gt shifts so smooth I don't even realize when it up or down shifts, the gts on the other hand has a slight jerk between up and down shifts which improved a little but not smooth with castrol import ATF. Driving conditions are that of St. Louis, MO which means we get all kind of weather randomly, and the goal would be to keep the car as long as possible with hope of not burning any oil. The cost of fluids won't be an issue as I want the best and long oci, I have always done 3k before which seems too short n mostly on full synthetic super-tech from Walmart. From what I read PU n GC seem to be the highest rated on BITOG. Please advice

I'm running SuperTec 5-30 Synthetic 7k in my 95 Camry with a white can Puralator. See's all kinds of weather here in NY.

If not a boutique oil, PU 10w30 in the summer on the 2zzfe - or if you are a castrol fan, EDGE with Ti. They seem to be the stoutest oil on paper as something you could buy off the shelf at walmart or wherever. This rec is just because of the high specific output of the 2zz engine. Unless you moddded and/or racing you SHOULDNT need the high HTHS of the GC.

What HAVE you been running?

I recently got them both, gt was Mobil 1 15w-50 bc of oil burning then been adding all sorts of cheap motor oil, fixing the oil burning issue with a friend soon, so that's why I was asking suggestions, gts First oil change put in Mobil Super full synthetic W/ Mobil 1 EP oil filter (24.99 AAP special) it seems to burn no oil so far, but haven't really decided what motor oils to use on next oil change on for both cars, OEM weight is 5W30 on both

Pennzoil Platinum and the Castrol IMV ATF you are using. Factory filters. Replace the PCV Valves in both.

Last edited:
The Mobil Super Full Synthetic is fine stuff. So is Quaker state Ultimate Durability. They are good oil for the money. Especially if you find it on sale with a filter combination. You might want to check out the Petroleum quality institute of America website as they have reviewed and posted an analysis of many oils that you will find interesting and informative. Have fun reading and looking around.
10.gif

Welcome to BITOG!

I'd probably use GC in the 2ZZ, if you're not leaking oil. If it does, then try M1 HM 10w40 or Maxlife synthetic.

As for the 1ZZ, M1 0w30 or M1 HM 5w30

Even non-synthetic can go at least 5k. Good syns like PU, M1, and GC can easily do 10k. If you want long OCI, try M1 EP which is good for 15k. How many miles do you drive per year?

How often do you 3x drain and fill, and how many miles on the cars? I think you only need to do one drain and fill every 30k, and that the 3x is only necessary if you have like 200k and the ATF was *never* changed.

Well for AT I follow Honda's suggested 3x drain n refill every 30k/3year policy, it's on the cautious side, or lately when I get a used car I do 3x D n R method then every 15k I do one drain n refill, please advice what can fix the jerk for the AT on the 2ZZ. I already attempted the 3x drain n refill with castrol Import ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back