Royal Purple M2-820, 5700 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
The M2-820 from my SRT, cut open after an OLM-terminated run of 5700 miles. The filter is definitely overkill for that interval. But then I like overkill...

The can just about wore my arms out cutting through, bypass valve moves freely, ADB valve seals perfectly. The whole filter more or less looks brand new.

The pleats are perfectly even except the one pleat adjacent to the crimp- the crimp is in perfect condition and tightly sealed along its whole length:

The rounded beads visible between pleats are the cement that attaches the works to the end-cap. They're solidly bound to the metal and to the media.

Someone had asked about a stray sliver of this cement which was visible looking down the center tube of their new Amsoil filter (almost identical to the RP filter, both made by Frampion Labs ;-) ) After seeing how well the cement held up and trying to pick it loose, I wouldn't have any fear of it breaking loose whatsoever. This whole filter is built like a battleship.

Looks good.
thumbsup2.gif

Are there any material or design differences (besides purple parts) between the Mobil 1 and RP filters? RP's seem to me to be the most expensive aftermarket brand.

Originally Posted By: notech47
Are there any material or design differences (besides purple parts) between the Mobil 1 and RP filters? RP's seem to me to be the most expensive aftermarket brand.

M1s are a cellulose/synthetic blend where as this Royal Purple is a synthetic cloth wire backed media I believe. Other than that I would think they are pretty similar.

Very nicely constructed filter. Probably much more than anyone needs.

Thanks for taking your time to show us!

Been to the strip yet?

Originally Posted By: cp3
Originally Posted By: notech47

M1s are a cellulose/synthetic blend where as this Royal Purple is a synthetic cloth wire backed media I believe. Other than that I would think they are pretty similar.

+1, The above is exactly what I'd say, having cut both open. The M1 is a bit like a Pure One but in a beefier canister. The RP is almost identical to an Amsoil EAO (I think that's the nomenclature) series filter- thick can and wire-backed synthetic media. They're DARN good filters, and not all that pricey. If you want a media similar to this but at an even lower cost, the Fram Ultra is the ticket. Its a little thinner can and has a plastic bypass valve disk, and those are its only downsides IMO. Most people wouldn't worry about the plastic bypass valve, but I have this (probably imaginary) fear of the retainer fingers breaking off and letting the filter go into full bypass, or (worse) letting the bypass valve disk plug the filter outlet.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Very nicely constructed filter. Probably much more than anyone needs.

Thanks for taking your time to show us!

Been to the strip yet?

Not yet... although my rear tires are wearing much faster than the fronts. :p

And you're right, the RP filter is way more than most people need. I never thought I'd be saying this, but I'm sure it could do two OCIs, and I might just do that. Its funny, when I was a kid (late 60s early 70s) the rule of thumb was "oil filter every other oil change" (3000 miles) and then we got away from that for some reason and I've thought it was terrible ever since. But with this type filter I'm not so sure its a bad thing at all.

I grabbed a used oil sample to send in, also. I'll post that when it comes back.

Looks good. I use them as well.

Just one thing. Is this the filter in your SRT8 Challenger? If so the part # "should" be 20-820. I have never seen RP #'s with anything but 10- or 20-??? Maybe that M2 # is the stores own system?

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Looks good. I use them as well.

Just one thing. Is this the filter in your SRT8 Challenger? If so the part # "should" be 20-820. I have never seen RP #'s with anything but 10- or 20-??? Maybe that M2 # is the stores own system?

Yep. I'm a blunderfingers (or blunderbrain...), its a 20-820

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back