Mann W 940/25 vw/audi 1.8t oil filter dissection

Status
Not open for further replies.
10k miles, this is the oversized filter for the sludge TSB. Ran with Shell RT6 which just got sent to blackstone. Car is new to me, bought with 189k, now has 199k.
ry2uvyny.jpg

redepyhe.jpg

Never seen a Mann that didn't look well made. Does that filter have just 4 inlet holes? Don't think I've ever seen that few. Interesting looking leaf spring too.

As always, thanks for cutting and posting! I appreciate it.

Yeah, I didn't even think about the four holes, I just looked at my spare and it also has 4 holes, I have a stash at another house I will look at as well, I would imagine they are all the same, they all came from worldpac. I will have to take a look at the vw oversize and the Hengst and see if they are the same. I have an oil pressure guage on this car and in the cold of winter it hit 100psi, normal op temp 40, even in the summer.

Originally Posted By: lucaq
Yeah, I didn't even think about the four holes, I just looked at my spare and it also has 4 holes, Yeah, I didn't even think about the 4 holes, I just looked at my spare and it has 6 holes, I have a stash at another house I will look at as well, I would imagine they are all the same, they all came from worldpac. I will have to take a look at the vw oversize and the Hengst and see if they are the same. I have an oil pressure guage on this car and in the cold of winter it hit 100psi, normal op temp 40, even in the summer.

I fixed it for you.
smile.gif

Why can't I edit the post?

The edit function times out. You can only edit your post for about 10 min after you post it.

The VW one has five:

26571_x600.jpg

I believe Mahle and possibly even Hengst supply VW with filters in addition to Mann. This appears to be a Mahle filter to me. Possibly the Mahle OC264 as I think the OC51 has 7 holes.

The Mann W940/25's that I have seen have been like the original post.

...this is the oversized filter for the sludge TSB.

If you want to supersize that try the Mann W950/4

Originally Posted By: TurboJim

I just ordered some 940/44 filters, supposed to be their "long life" version of the 940/25. I know one can go bigger, I don't see the need. This is VW/Audi's solution to the "sludge" issue in the longitudinally mounted 1.8t engines so I am just sticking with it. Probably the sludge issue had more to do with conventional oil shearing in a turbo than it did with sump capacity, but this is what they recommend. I have pulled off the valve cover in both of my A4s and neither has any sludge so I don't feel that this is an issue for me. When I was poking around about the filters I did find the other flavors of Mann filters that I can use, some are super tall and meant for the v6 but should have clearance and probably work just fine. I'd have to check and make sure the bypass valve is set for the same relief.

Originally Posted By: TurboJim

I just ordered some 940/44 filters, supposed to be their "long life" version of the 940/25. I know one can go bigger, I don't see the need. This is VW/Audi's solution to the "sludge" issue in the longitudinally mounted 1.8t engines so I am just sticking with it. Probably the sludge issue had more to do with conventional oil shearing in a turbo than it did with sump capacity, but this is what they recommend. I have pulled off the valve cover in both of my A4s and neither has any sludge so I don't feel that this is an issue for me. When I was poking around about the filters I did find the other flavors of Mann filters that I can use, some are super tall and meant for the v6 but should have clearance and probably work just fine. I'd have to check and make sure the bypass valve is set for the same relief.

IIRC, the sludging issue was caused by a *ucked up PCV system.....correct?

It does suck, not sure that it caused the sludge, but I am not going to claim to be an expert here, if you could share some info on that I would be interested.

It does suck, not sure that it caused the sludge, but I am not going to claim to be an expert here, if you could share some info on that I would be interested.

Not every Audi A4 / Passsat 1.8T is going to experience sludge, that's the good news. There are a number of factors that can lead to sludge however. Even with the larger size oil filter which Audi / VW now specify it still leaves the engine with less oil than in other 1.8T applications.

By upgrading to the Big Kahuna size oil filter you increase your capacty to around 5 quarts. Some options: Purolator L40316, Mann W950/4, Wix 51333 / Napa Gold 1333.

The PCV system is complicated and a pain to service. But it should be serviced on a regular basis because it can easily become clogged and restrict the flow of blow-by gasses.
Sludge, the black gooey kind, is something I have experienced myself. I chalked that up to driving habits which included a lot of short trips. I also had multiple vacuum / boost leaks which would have impacted the air to fuel ratio.

Carbon shards of coked oil can plug up the oil pump pick-up screen. When this happens oil pressure take a nose dive. The best approach is to drop the oil pan (another complicated procedure)and replace the pick-up screen.

I just ordered some 940/44 filters, supposed to be their "long life" version of the 940/25. I know one can go bigger, I don't see the need. This is VW/Audi's solution to the "sludge" issue in the longitudinally mounted 1.8t engines so I am just sticking with it. Probably the sludge issue had more to do with conventional oil shearing in a turbo than it did with sump capacity, but this is what they recommend.

This then larger now standard size filter hasn't prevented sludge from happening. Nor has the use of Audi / VW spec synthetic oil. Just check the Audi A4 / Passat forums.

As long as you drive and service the vehicle like the previous owner did you'll probably be fine. However if your driving habits are different or you service it on a less frequent basis your results may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back