Stens oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
About to buy some of these online since they are much cheaper than OEM briggs and stratton filters. Anybody know who makes them and are they ok? They make oil filters for pretty much all small engines from what I can tell.

Stens is big OPE aftermaket supplier. Not sure who makes their filters.

I think most (maybe all?) B&S oil filters are 3/4-16 thread which gives you alot of options.

Last edited:
Its the short briggs filters I am buying. The dealers want a fortune for them and so does lowes and everybody else. The bigger ones are no problem to cross. I am going to get some air filters also to try out.

Motorcraft FL910S will work and if a little longer is OK a FL400S.

Other options.

Wix 51056
Wix 51348 (If memory serves a little longer like the FL400S)
Purolator L10241
Baldwin B1410

I have never used a Stens Oil Filter but I currently have a Stens Air Filter in one of my Craftsman Tractors and the quality of it seemed on par with the oem briggs filter but of course that was just the eyeball and feel test.

I have never had a problem with any OPE part that Stens sells. In fact, I have purchased parts from them that were actually OEM parts in Stens boxes, for 1/3 the OEM price!

Last edited:
Agreed tnt31! I'd use the FL910S or the FL400S if you have the clearance. I've been running these and the Purolator for a decade plus on my John Deere GT235 with no issues and change them annually. I just can't justify buying B&S brand filters for what they go for around me when I can purchase pretty much any oil change special for a dollar or two more.

Originally Posted By: nomochevys
Its the short briggs filters I am buying. The dealers want a fortune for them and so does lowes and everybody else. The bigger ones are no problem to cross. I am going to get some air filters also to try out.

The only difference between the shorter briggs filter and the longer briggs filter is length. If you do not have clearance issues see recommendations above. If you need something the same (or close) to the length of the shorter briggs filter you can use:

Wix - 57035
Baldwin - B7165
Hastings - LF503

The Wix 51056 and Baldwin B1410 are only about 0.4 inch longer. (Add Purolator L35310 and the longer briggs filter to the 0.4 inch longer list) The others I mentioned are approx 1.1 inch longer except the FL400s which is a little longer than that.

I have two craftsman tractors. One came with the shorter briggs filter and the other with the longer briggs filter. Both have Baldwin B1410's on them now and I have Motorcraft FL910S's waiting for both at their next oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back