4L60E operating temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the operational temperature range for the 4L60E, anyone know? I'm sent an email out to the General, but I doubt I'll be getting the response I'm looking for.

I have one in my Envoy, with a total fill capacity of 11.8 quarts - which I think is a joke and I'm getting a deeper pan for increased fluid capacity. The ambient temperatures are just too high here, and at noon time when it's over 120 F, my ATF temperatures climb up to 217 F on the highway. In stop and go it gets up to 223 F, and with these temperatures, I'll be needing a new transmission soon if I don't do anything. I'm running Kendall Dexron-VI with LubeGard Red, and will be ditching to POS factory cooler (in the radiator) soon for something better.

WE have two TrailBlazers in the family, an '04 (4.2L Straight Six) and an '08 (5.3L V8) and I have seen the tranny temps go to 220F a few times.

I change the fluid out every two to three years.

If you are using DexVI it is usually very stable, oxidatively speaking.

If you think your fluid is being overheated then do a pan drain and refill every 2 years or less.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
What is the operational temperature range for the 4L60E, anyone know? I'm sent an email out to the General, but I doubt I'll be getting the response I'm looking for.

I have one in my Envoy, with a total fill capacity of 11.8 quarts - which I think is a joke and I'm getting a deeper pan for increased fluid capacity. The ambient temperatures are just too high here, and at noon time when it's over 120 F, my ATF temperatures climb up to 217 F on the highway. In stop and go it gets up to 223 F, and with these temperatures, I'll be needing a new transmission soon if I don't do anything. I'm running Kendall Dexron-VI with LubeGard Red, and will be ditching to POS factory cooler (in the radiator) soon for something better.

GM has a wonderful plate type really cheap off their trucks. Add it in series with the radiator.

Note: change out the thermostat to help a bit. In our trucks all the oil and all the trans fluid is pumped through the radiator FIRST to get everything warmed up as quick as possible.

My 4L65E in a 5.3 Silverado has gone to 225 when towing a huge 4X4 on a trailer (about 9000 pounds) but rarely exceeds 180 in normal driving. With Dex VI that isn't even a problem...

Thanks for everyone's input!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
WE have two TrailBlazers in the family, an '04 (4.2L Straight Six) and an '08 (5.3L V8) and I have seen the tranny temps go to 220F a few times.

I change the fluid out every two to three years.

If you are using DexVI it is usually very stable, oxidatively speaking.

If you think your fluid is being overheated then do a pan drain and refill every 2 years or less.

I wish I could get synethtic Dexron-VI around here, but I can't, and I can't get fluids shipped. I have a habit of dropping the pan (replacing the filter/gasket as well) at every oil change, based on the OLM. But after I installed my ScanGauge-II and noticed the ATF temperatures, I dropped the pan immediately and I didn't really like how the fluid looked. Problem is, it hits 200+ regularly during the noon/afternoon. In the mornings, it barely goes over 170 F.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
You need a giant auxiliary transmission cooler. A B&M stacked-plate cooler should do the trick.

Does the B&M come with a fan by any chance?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
GM has a wonderful plate type really cheap off their trucks. Add it in series with the radiator.

Note: change out the thermostat to help a bit. In our trucks all the oil and all the trans fluid is pumped through the radiator FIRST to get everything warmed up as quick as possible.

My 4L65E in a 5.3 Silverado has gone to 225 when towing a huge 4X4 on a trailer (about 9000 pounds) but rarely exceeds 180 in normal driving. With Dex VI that isn't even a problem...

Do you happen to have a link to the GM cooler?
thumbsup2.gif

The thermostat was replaced with a stock one back in February. Going with a colder one is a possibility, but I'm a bit worried about having to deal with fuel dilution and unburnt fuel going to the cat.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
According to this, it turns out the Dexron-VI I'm using is already a full synthetic.
21.gif

+1 True DexVI is synthetic. Get the largest cooler you can find and like said before rout it outside the radiator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back