K&N PS-7010 Filter Collapse Jetta 2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

I just changed the oil on my 07 Jetta 2.5 from Castrol Syntec 5W40 to Mobil1 0W40. I usually use a MANN HU719/6X filter for my Jetta but my local source in Canada ran out so I bought some K&N PS-7010 filters and used it in my last oil change (just took it out). They looked very well made and it said MADE IN USA. It was about half the price of the MANN.

Anyway, the filter is collapsed. It looks like an hourglass. Nothing is ripped open, it just collapsed. Now, I've never had this problem with MANN. They always remained intact and cylindrical.

1371574380.jpg

I wanted to hear what you guys had to say on this. I am wondering if I should contact K&N, also if this had any adverse effects on my engine.

CAR: 2007 Jetta 2.5L
OCI: ~9000KM
OIL: Castrol Syntec 5W40
Driving: 70% Highway 30% Local
Engine Condition: No sludge, no varnish, and consumes maybe half a liter per 10k km.

1371574249.jpg

Thanks a bunch.

Last edited:
The center is supported by another metal tube that is within the plastic housing of the filter. It is not collapsed and it perfectly fine. But this is probably due to the filter housing support inside.

IIRC the K&Ns for most German cars are rebadged Hengst filters.

Looks like the housing was over-tightened.

My tundra uses a similar filter but I have never seen this happen even after using several different brands. I do wonder if the K&N is slightly longer/taller than the factory or Mann filter, which I believe would cause the collapse in the middle of the filter. Most filter caps for this design must bottom out to achieve a proper seal, so over-tightening could not occur. I would not use this filter again because IMHO the collapse in the middle squeezes the ridges together and theoretically reduces the filtering media area. But as I said just my opinion...no science behind it.

Originally Posted By: Anikiri
The center is supported by another metal tube that is within the plastic housing of the filter. It is not collapsed and it perfectly fine. But this is probably due to the filter housing support inside.

So there must be some air gap between the center of the filter and the metal tube in the housing for the center of the filter to allow it to collapse inward until it is stopped by the metal tube in the housing (?). If so, then maybe that's why this filter collapsed in the center due to the oil flow putting pressure on the media? Do other filters fit better where there's not much gap between the metal tube an the center of the filter?

I'm assuming this filter has a plastic cage in the center core - correct?

Overall length is really critical on a cartridge, as well as making sure it is properly seated before tightening down the cap.

While not impressive to look at, what you have there doesn't hurt anything IMO.

The Microgard filter I took out of a Mercedes recently looked pretty much like that one, folding inward from the pressure. I wasn't impressed. Nevertheless, I put a new Microgard in it, because it looked like better quality with those K&N rubber end caps. In hindsight I think they were identical save for the end caps and probably both poor quality like yours.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...441#Post3032441

I have a couple new filters left since I bought 4 and I have 3 left. I just took pictures of this filter while new.

You guys decide whats the problem here. I do not have another MANN filter to really gauge if these two are the same height or not. I put my last MANN in the car a couple hours ago.

The filter does not fit very snug onto the filter housing. It has some give, so there is a chance the filter can collapse inward.

1371581329.jpg

1371581398.jpg

1371581462.jpg

There does not appear to be any structure inside the filter, just all media. The only thing holding this filter in a cylindrical shape is the top and bottom plastic/rubber endcaps. In comparison, the MANN does not even have endcaps.

Last edited:
...I usually use a MANN HU719/6X filter for my Jetta but my local source in Canada ran out so I bought some K&N PS-7010 filters and used it in my last oil change (just took it out). They looked very well made and it said MADE IN USA. It was about half the price of the MANN.

Anyway, the filter is collapsed. It looks like an hourglass. Nothing is ripped open, it just collapsed. Now, I've never had this problem with MANN. They always remained intact and cylindrical.
I wanted to hear what you guys had to say on this....

Looks fine to me. I would continue using whichever one you can get cheapest/easiest.

And make sure you're not overtorquing the oil filter housing. Get the proper cap wrench and use a known good torque wrench.

The filter does not fit very snug onto the filter housing. It has some give, so there is a chance the filter can collapse inward.

Like I said before, if there is a big air gap between the center hole of the filter and the metal tube in the filter holder, then the filter will naturally want to collapse inwards from the oil flow causing pressure on the media. If there was hardly any air gap between the filter center hole and metal tube, then it wouldn't collapse. In this case, the filter has no center core of its own, so that makes it even easier for the media to collapse until it touches the metal tube.

Solution is to find a filter where the center hole has less air gap with the metal tube, or a filter that has its own plastic center core that slips over the metal tube in the filter holder.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Like I said before, if there is a big air gap between the center hole of the filter and the metal tube in the filter holder, then the filter will naturally want to collapse inwards from the oil flow causing pressure on the media. If there was hardly any air gap between the filter center hole and metal tube, then it wouldn't collapse. In this case, the filter has no center core of its own, so that makes it even easier for the media to collapse until it touches the metal tube.

Solution is to find a filter where the center hole has less air gap with the metal tube, or a filter that has its own plastic center core that slips over the metal tube in the filter holder.

Well the MANN OEM filter is also not a snug fit and it does not collapse. Thats what really daunts me.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Well the MANN OEM filter is also not a snug fit and it does not collapse. Thats what really daunts me.

Probably because it has thicker/stiffer media, and/or there is less pressure delta across the MANN filter. Multiple factors in play.

The center is supported by another metal tube that is within the plastic housing of the filter....

So in these filter applications there is no nylon centertube cage on the cartridge?

I remember Purolator had some early issues with no centertube cages on some cartridges twisting and almost collapsing. They recognized the issue and later added a nylon centertube cage to help support the cartridges. The Napa Gold 7250 cartridge used in my 3.8L Hyundai as shown in this thread uses such a nylon cage and it has no metal tube in the housing and it works great, no issues.

Perhaps adding a cage in addition to the metal housing tube would help. That said, doesn't look to have caused an issue here other than ugly esthetics.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
You use K&N stuff, assume your heavy on the throttle?

He might be heavy on the throttle, but the simplest explanation is he's Canadian, and we have weird filter selections up here at certain retailers. The two places I can readily get a Mann (or similar German filter) also stock K&N as alternatives.

The only place that sells MANN filters really is Partsource. And they cost something around $13 each + tax. I went to several in my area and they didnt have anymore HU719/6x and so I picked up the K&N on the next shelf. And that stuff was on sale for $7 so I picked up 4. The sales associate there was all "omg K&N is pure awesome in a box"

Anyway, I try to buy when I visit the future-inlaws in NYC at germanfilters.com but I havent been for sometime now.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
You use K&N stuff, assume your heavy on the throttle?

He might be heavy on the throttle, but the simplest explanation is he's Canadian, and we have weird filter selections up here at certain retailers. The two places I can readily get a Mann (or similar German filter) also stock K&N as alternatives.

OK. Wondering if there may be some bugs in the transition back to cartridge in addition to filters being to long, OE during installations, etc... For example.. unlike a spin on with a central tube, a cartridge filter can implode on itself under certain driving conditions like, for example high revving. While there may be a tube, its part of the car, not part of the filter. so there is a larger gap. Something like that.

I seriously don't high rev ever. 99% I just drive normally very tame cause the gas here is expensive $1.29 per liter, that's $4.88 per gallon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back