Pennzoil Ultra 5w20 API SN vs. SM

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was able to find some PU on walmart.com, just drove an hour and fifteen minutes to buy it. Its the 5w20 weight for my accord 2.4. I noticed once i got it in the car and looked at the back i saw it was the API SM rating rather than the SN...what exactly does this mean? would i be better off returning it and getting Pennzoil Platinum with the SN rating? what are your thoughts. And whats the difference between the SM rating and the SN? anyone know what the accord k24a8 requires for oil as in what rating it needs? i dont have an owners manual

Originally Posted By: gregk24
So I was able to find some PU on walmart.com, just drove an hour and fifteen minutes to buy it. Its the 5w20 weight for my accord 2.4. I noticed once i got it in the car and looked at the back i saw it was the API SM rating rather than the SN...what exactly does this mean? would i be better off returning it and getting Pennzoil Platinum with the SN rating? what are your thoughts. And whats the difference between the SM rating and the SN? anyone know what the accord k24a8 requires for oil as in what rating it needs? i dont have an owners manual

SN is superior, by alot. The NOACK is like half.

Both oils are overkill and both will offer superior service. SM oil was the industry standard when your car was built.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

SM was the current standard when your 2006 Accord was new and was most probably what was specified in the Owner's Manual. See here: API Brochure

SN is an improved standard that is backward compatible to previous standards.

So, you can use either SM or SN in your Accord.

thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
SM - Save the engine
SN - Save the cat

Disagree. SN is superior in all regards. The big "save the engine" advance of SN is the lower NOACK- especially important for hot-running, direct-injected, or sludge-prone engines (more and more modern engines).

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
SM - Save the engine
SN - Save the cat

Disagree. SN is superior in all regards. The big "save the engine" advance of SN is the lower NOACK- especially important for hot-running, direct-injected, or sludge-prone engines (more and more modern engines).

I generally agree although one small difference is that SN oils are somewhat heavier which one may not need.
PU SM is still a good product that I wouldn't hesitate to use in a non DI engine.

I am running SM in my Jeep right now. The Jeep seems to love it. I will run it until all the SM is gone then switch to my SN stash. The SM meets GF-5 specs. Yes the SN has the GTL base stock which gives it the awesome NOACK numbers. Another BITOG member put it this way to me: think of Ultra SM as Pennzoil Platinum with a steroid additive pack. It has a large amount of boron, moly and calcium.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
SM - Save the engine
SN - Save the cat

I generally agree although one small difference is that SN oils are somewhat heavier which one may not need.
PU SM is still a good product that I wouldn't hesitate to use in a non DI engine.

Points taken. I just don't think there's a need for a feral "stick to the older spec" reaction in the case of SN. SL to SM was more of a downgrade in some respects, and SN is at least as good as SM in virtually all respects, better in a few others. And if you have a DI machine, you WANT SN to "save the engine."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back