2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 Superbee- best oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys im new to this forum so first I would like to apologize for possibly posting this in the wrong category. I am the proud owner of a new 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 Superbee with a 6.4L V8 engine. It is a 392 Hemi engine if that helps with anything. This car is honestly my most prized possession and I want to do everything I can to keep it running properly. I do drive it rather hard at times and I need to know what the best possible 0W-40 synthetic oil is that I can use in this engine. To me price is not an issue because if I just spent over 40k for a car the difference of $20 for better oil seems to be a very small price to pay to keep it running properly. Additionally I would like to know what the best quality oil filter is for this car with performance driving in mind as well as long engine life.

Thanks in advance,
lightning bee

Mmmmmmmm, 392 Hemi.

SRT does have a specific oil by Pennzoil (Ultra 0w40) that they recommend for their engines. Can't go wrong with that, but it's generally only available at Dodge dealers, and isn't cheap.

M1 0w40 European Formula is an excellent oil and has many approvals by manufacturers of high performance cars.

Redline 0w40 is a very stout oil, but is not API certified, so if you ever have a warranty claim, it may be denied on the basis of not using an API-approved oil.

M1 0w40 is the obvious choice, 5 quarts for $22 at Walmart.

Pep Boys sells Pennzoil Ultra 0w40, which I believe is factory fill for those cars, and it even says SRT on the front of the bottle. On PB's website, there is a coupon for 5 quarts of it, and a Purolator Synthetic filter, for $40.

I don't believe that Walmart stocks PU 0w40, even in the store locations that carry PU.

Some Advance Auto Parts stores carry Castrol Edge 0w40 which is also a good choice.

The easiest oil to get is Mobil One 0W40. You can not go wrong by using it. For a canister oil filter it really does not play a big role in engine longevity just use a high quality brand name filter.

When I had a HEMI engine I would use a Napa Gold filter.

Nice ride.

Mfg calls for a 0W40 meeting API SM in that 6.4L. You only have a few options available in the US that I know of in 0W40 that are API certified. Many here will say to run Mobil 1. It is really popular and at least was the FF in the SRT vehicles. I am not a M1 fan but it will do the job well and should be easy to find.

I don't see any 0W40 Pennzoil Ultra like the others are talking about but it makes sense as SOPUS is now the FF oil supplier. Ultra would be a good oil if you can find it.

I would recommend Royal Purple API licensed 0W40( is API SM ). That would be my choice of oils. RP is not popular on BITOG but it is EXCELLENT oil and is very popular on auto forums. You also have Redline available to you which is another excellent oil but none of their oils are API certified which matters with warranty.

If you run a 5W40 you have more options.

Last edited:
As a 6.1 owner since mid 05 I can tell you that the only reason that Pennzoil is on the cap these days is ownership.

M1 0W-40 is on my cap and has kept mine running strong. Over 200 drag strip passes and many many track days at road courses all over the country.

Get thee to the Diablosport website for your very best mod!

that car is spec for PU 0w40 and that is what I would run in it. Plus Mobil 1 does not meet Chrysler spec MS-6395 or Chrysler MS-10725 or Chrysler MS-11106.
PU runs great in my Challenger SRT8.

M1 0w40 is the choice for a lot of Charger/Challenger SRT8's, and would trust it in mine any day of the week. Feel free to spend the extra $$ for PU but I would not (and I am a big PU fan).

Nice car! I just test drove an '07 Charger SRT (6.1l Hemi) and the power was something else. The 6.4l looks to be even better in all aspects.

But I digress, I believe that Pennzoil Ultra 0w40 is the only oil that meets the current Chrysler spec for the SRT lineup.

Originally Posted By: 72Cude426
that car is spec for PU 0w40 and that is what I would run in it. Plus Mobil 1 does not meet Chrysler spec MS-6395 or Chrysler MS-10725 or Chrysler MS-11106.
PU runs great in my Challenger SRT8.

Please use the correct terminology.

An oil can "meet" the standards or be "certified" to meet the standards.

I believe I read here that no oil in the world carries more certifications than M1 0W-40.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
Nice car! I just test drove an '07 Charger SRT (6.1l Hemi) and the power was something else. The 6.4l looks to be even better in all aspects.

The 6.4 is more powerful and has a flatter torque curve. But it also contains a ton of parts dedicated to fuel economy (MDS, etc.) that do nothing for performance. The 6.1 was purpose built for SRT and is unique in the new gen Hemi line up.

The worst part was the weight gain, all the 6.4 cars weigh much more than their 6.1 counterparts. That is the principle reason there is not one in my driveway.

Wait till you see the supercharged version. It will be based on the 6.1 motor (think durability).

Last edited:
I would skip the M1 0w40, if it is SM. The SL and SN formulas appear(ed) decent just not the SM. If it is SM M1, I would use the PU 0w40 especially if that is what CRYsler wants for warranty

Originally Posted By: lighteningbee
Hi guys im new to this forum so first I would like to apologize for possibly posting this in the wrong category. I am the proud owner of a new 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 Superbee with a 6.4L V8 engine. It is a 392 Hemi engine if that helps with anything. This car is honestly my most prized possession and I want to do everything I can to keep it running properly. I do drive it rather hard at times and I need to know what the best possible 0W-40 synthetic oil is that I can use in this engine. To me price is not an issue because if I just spent over 40k for a car the difference of $20 for better oil seems to be a very small price to pay to keep it running properly. Additionally I would like to know what the best quality oil filter is for this car with performance driving in mind as well as long engine life.

Thanks in advance,
lightning bee
Price is always an issue...no matter how much or how little. I'm sure you tried to negotiate the price of your new car right. I haven't read the responses yet, but any syn 0w-40 will be ok with your warranty and oci interval requirements.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: RamFan

The 6.4 is more powerful and has a flatter torque curve. But it also contains a ton of parts dedicated to fuel economy (MDS, etc.) that do nothing for performance. The 6.1 was purpose built for SRT and is unique in the new gen Hemi line up.

The worst part was the weight gain, all the 6.4 cars weigh much more than their 6.1 counterparts. That is the principle reason there is not one in my driveway.

Wait till you see the supercharged version. It will be based on the 6.1 motor (think durability).

I'm actually a fan of MDS in the SRT, gives the lady less to complain about when I eventually make the purchase. But in all seriousness, I'm not opposed to fuel efficient horsepower monsters. I know that it going against the grain of gear monkeys but I welcome the change.

I was gonna say steveSRT8 uses M1 0W40, and he beats the [censored] out of his HEMI with track and drag strips...but anyhoo, just listen to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back