Pentosin MTF 2 or 3 in Honda S2000 6 Speed Manual?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed out the transmission fluid in my S2000 and my BMW. I used Pentosin MTF2 (synthetic) in the BMW and Honda's own MTF fluid which is mineral based in the S2000.

The Honda, with fresh fluid in it, is the best shifting (smoothest) manual transmission I've ever driven (including Honda GM and Ford products). I'm wondering if anyone has run Pentosin's synthetic in their Honda's manual trans and if they noticed a change in the gear changing process hot or cold or fluid life?

With the Honda Accord V6 6MT the owners swear by putting in GM FM syncromesh mtf. Actually, Honda had a tsb switching over to the GM stuff to get rid of some gear grind going into 3rd gear. I'd get that stuff in the S2k.

What is the difference between the 2 and 3?

What is the viscosity of the OE fluid?

I have tried several fluids over the years. The Honda MTF II is a good one for most. If it works well, stay with it. You will find that picking a MTF is mostly subjective for the S2000. It is the best 6MT in the world and gives you excellent feedback. The fluids do shear quickly and you will notice the change in shift quality. Just change the fluid (it's easy). Keep your clutch fluid clean also.

I eventually moved on to Amsoil MTF. I was gettng occassional 1st gear pop outs with cold Honda MTF II. It hasn't done it since switching to the higher viscosity MTF 3 years ago.

Enjoy the ride!

The Pentosin will not likely shear. It will probably maintain its initial feel for the duration of its service life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back