Aluminum wheel repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I was having some tires put on my car and they discovered one of my wheels had a small crack and anther one had a slight warp. Now they can still hold air and they are going to have the crack professionally welded but what I can I do about the warped wheel? It's in the front right now and it plays through the steering wheel a little bit, should I just move it to the back or can some shops fix this?

There are places that can make them like new. But between $100 and $125 per wheel. That is who I would have weld and or fix the wheels.

But you can get a new or reconditioned at RockAuto for not much more.

In the north east, salt often gets under the clear coat and makes it look all corroded and pitted.

Bite the bullet and buy new wheels. If these were on the "Luv" machine, I'd say no problem. But on a vehicle traveling down the interstate at 70 mph with either family, friends, or both, you couldn't pay me to do it.

Replace the wheels. Curb rash or slight bends is one thing, but a crack is serious. I don't trust a re-weld.

Plenty of places online to get OEM wheels at a good price.

Wheel Collision Center in Bath PA reconditions wheels to new specs at a fraction of the new price. I've bought several wheels from them and they have all been great.

Just replace those wheels, for safety's sake...

Well I really want to keep these, they are a set of discontinued Enkei racing wheels. I'm going to see what kind of services are offered in the area...they have some wear and tear but at some point i plan on painting them and cleaning then up really well. I can't afford new wheels

Originally Posted By: Ga129
My main question was what to do about the slightly warped wheel

If it was a steel wheel, they might be able to true it. I've driven on bent steel wheels before and it wasn't fun. The problem with aluminum wheels is that they break. You can fold a steel wheel over onto itself and it will simply bend, (I did that in a car wreck once, slid sideways on a wet road, the tire blew out and came off the rim and the wheel folded completely over). An aluminum wheel will shatter. I simply wouldn't trust one that had been bent and then bent back.

Think of it this way. Back in '89, I was driving an ancient Chevy Pickup from California to Indiana. The front wheel split in half, (It was extremely rusty inside, but I thought it would make it. ) I was in the middle of Zion National Park. It's big and lonely and empty. Long story short, a nice Mormon family picked me up and carried me down the road and carried me back again. If your wheel breaks and you manage to get it off the road without wrecking your car, you might not meet a nice mormon family to help you out, (thankfully, when my wheel split, I wasn't going that fast and no one was around as I was all over the road and almost rolled the truck). Don't be penny wise, pound foolish.

Well I mean it's not a big crack, it was a hairline fracture maybe an inch long. No split. I know I sound cheap but I can't afford anything else. And I luckily have a full sized spare and AAA. Can any of you recommend a place to buy used wheels for really cheap online
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Ga129
Today I was having some tires put on my car and they discovered one of my wheels had a small crack and anther one had a slight warp. Now they can still hold air and they are going to have the crack professionally welded but what I can I do about the warped wheel? It's in the front right now and it plays through the steering wheel a little bit, should I just move it to the back or can some shops fix this?

You may not want to believe this, but the crack is by far the more serious. Cracks grow - and they grow in spurts and without warning. You could go from a small crack to a chunk falling off in a second.

So replace the wheel with the crack first. It's a potential safety hazard.

If it's on a 7 yr old Optima with over 100K, buy a steel set. DTD often has cheap wheels + 50-$100 off a set. Check their prices. You can probably find an aftermarket set pretty cheap.

Theses aren't the stock oem wheels, I bought these used from a friend. I still have the stock "steelies" but they have no tires. I picked it back up from the shop today, I asked the guy if I need to worry about it rebreaking, and he said that they've had this done multiple times and never had a complaint or rebreak. This is a family owned shop that has been around since 1956. Nice people. If for some god awful reason I notice a new crack or anything of the sort I will get tires for the steelies but this is all I can afford right now.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
It's true that cracks in aluminum wheels grow. The critical areas are the rim lip and the hub center.

Could you drill out the ends of the crack in a non-critical area for at least a temp fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back