Does Toyota T IV = Mobil 3309

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget MaxLife ATF: right now with the Lot's-O-Loot promotion @ Autozone you can pick up a quart a day for about $2.00 each!

Cheers!

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Yes, 3309 is the same as T-IV, it's also called AW1. T-IV is made by ExxonMobil, says so on the side of the bottle.

First off I don't think the T-IV and JS3309 are identical. JS3309 will meet T-IV but not vice versa.

Also the AW 1 spec IS different. Aisin, that makes the 6 speed, specifically says JS3309 in the 5 speeds and AW 1 in the 6 speed.

I work for a Toyota dealer, the MSDS I have for T-IV is printed on ExxonMobil letter head. They make all the JDM Toyota fluids. As other have said this is old news around BITOG

Originally Posted By: SXE10
I work for a Toyota dealer, the MSDS I have for T-IV is printed on ExxonMobil letter head. They make all the JDM Toyota fluids. As other have said this is old news around BITOG
Exactly, but certain people won't believe you unless you post the MSDS lol. I mean, look at the bottle, it's a dead give away.

Originally Posted By: dmk
Yes, 3309 is the same as T-IV, it's also called AW1. T-IV is made by ExxonMobil, says so on the side of the bottle.

First off I don't think the T-IV and JS3309 are identical. JS3309 will meet T-IV but not vice versa.

Also the AW 1 spec IS different. Aisin, that makes the 6 speed, specifically says JS3309 in the 5 speeds and AW 1 in the 6 speed.

Literally the same fluid. T-IV is the Toyota terminology and 3309 is the terminology for other manufacturers. Would you rather I call it Ford Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid? You know Volvo has their own name for it too.

For the non-believers
2013-05-15_1157.png

2013-05-15_1154.png

Good info.

I want to point out the caveat with other fluids, that are specified or recommended for Toyota's T-IV applications may not necessarily be approved or recommended for Volvo JS3309 applications. Make sure to read the bottle.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I've never seen any document, VOA, etc. proving T-IV is re-branded Mobil 3309. Suspect something like what XOM did with Toyota 0w20. IMO its similar/compatible and would use it. I pay $6 per qt at the dealer for T-IV. Can't find 3309 anywhere around here. If you did where and how much?
Guess you have your proof now.

Can't find 3309 anywhere around here. If you did where and how much?

The only place I can find Mobil 3309 ATF is from the Mobil distributor. Last time I checked, the price was slightly cheaper than T-IV. I had to order it from a Mobil office in the suburbs, then drive to the ghetto to pick it up. They delivered for free with a 5 gal minimum order. Not woth it for me, unless I buy in bulk. See what your situation is, and if you have a Mobil distributor nearby.

I thought I'd pad the order with synthetic oils I use to get free delivery, but their distributor price was more expensive than retail prices at O'Reillys. They undoubtedly give a break to large volume customers.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Can't find 3309 anywhere around here. If you did where and how much?

The only place I can find Mobil 3309 ATF is from the Mobil distributor. Last time I checked, the price was slightly cheaper than T-IV. I had to order it from a Mobil office in the suburbs, then drive to the ghetto to pick it up. They delivered for free with a 5 gal minimum order. Not woth it for me, unless I buy in bulk. See what your situation is, and if you have a Mobil distributor nearby.

I thought I'd pad the order with synthetic oils I use to get free delivery, but their distributor price was more expensive than retail prices at O'Reillys. They undoubtedly give a break to large volume customers.
This is new for me. I thought that ALL of The Motor City is the ghetto now...at least by what is shown on tv.

The T-IV and 3309 is the EXACT same fluid completely interchangeable.

I'd use the T-IV fluid in a vehicle that calls for 3309 before I'd put some kind of multi-vehicle ATF in there.

People come on - the following are bottled in the same plant on the same assembly line using the same Mobil 3309 Aisin-spec recipe with base stock straight from the Baytown, Baton Rouge, and Beaumont refineries:

Mobil 3309
Toyota T-IV
Volvo JWS 3309
Mazda T-IV/3309
Saab JWS 3309
BMW/Mini JWS 3309

of all of these pretty packages filled on the same bottling line, the T-IV at the Toyota dealership seems to be the lowest cost, around $4/qt when purchased by the case with mechanic's discount.

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
Originally Posted By: artbuc

Just bought 4 qts of T-IV from my local Toy dealer. It says Made in America from imported and domestic stock. No mention of ExxonMobil.
It's the same exact bottle as the Mobil. Anyway, this is a old known topic...we all know who makes it.

Sorry, I guess my memory was a little flaky. the bottle is the same as the Mobil bottle, but it doesn't say "Mobil" on it.

FWIW, I just called around to my local Toyota dealers trying to purchase Toyota T-IV by the case. Apparently not available in cases because I was quoted $6.03, $6.29, and $6.71 per quart at all three dealers I called.

I said screw it and ordered a case of Mobil 3309 from Amazon for $61.41 which comes to $5.12 per quart.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
how did this thread make it to 4 pages??? It should have been one post: YES

Agreed, but there's a lot of confusion surrounding these transmissions. Here's one more fluid to consider, the VW G055 025 A2 fluid for Aisin transmissions in Jettas & Passats.

When considering the similarity of the bottles, it does not look like the Mobil bottle and the picture I'm seeing on ecstuning.com show it as made in Canada. I'm doubting this one is made by Mobil. A lot of talk on vwvortex shows it as synthetic, but that's not reflected on the bottle.

The OE fluid is priced like liquid gold. Does anyone have any knowledge on the OE fluid? Is it Synthetic or is Mobil 3309/T-IV good enough? Fuchs Titan 4400 is labeled as a synthetic and does call out this spec on the bottle.

Rabble on the internet leads me to believe that the Mobil 3309/T-IV is an unremarkable fluid. If the OE fluid is synthetic, I'd hate to swap for non-synthetic and with VW revising the lifetime fluid to a 40k interval, I'll be doing this in a year.

Edit: I'm seeing that Mobil lists the G055 spec on their website. So is the OEM fluid synthetic or not?

Last edited:
Don't discount a fluid because it is not "synthetic". While it may not be the most advanced fluid out there it was specifically designed for Aisin units. That means that the engineering of the fluid and the additives combined give the transmission the characteristics they were looking for that includes the reliability and longevity.

The most important thing is to make sure that whatever fluid you use, MEETS the spec required by the manufacturer of the transmission. It should be printed right on the label of the fluid you choose..if it is NOT, don't use it.

The ONLY time you should disregard that advice is when a fluid (eg Toyota Type IV) is known to be a duplicate of the required fluid (Mobil 3309) even if it isn't printed on the label.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LScowboy
People come on - the following are bottled in the same plant on the same assembly line using the same Mobil 3309 Aisin-spec recipe with base stock straight from the Baytown, Baton Rouge, and Beaumont refineries:

Mobil 3309
Toyota T-IV
Volvo JWS 3309
Mazda T-IV/3309
Saab JWS 3309
BMW/Mini JWS 3309

of all of these pretty packages filled on the same bottling line, the T-IV at the Toyota dealership seems to be the lowest cost, around $4/qt when purchased by the case with mechanic's discount.

Also GM 88900925 for the Equinox/Aveos etc. GM has a few Aisin transmissions that require T-IV. To be honest I switched to Maxlife in my transmission and the shift points are much more crisp and I don't have the harsh shifts and skipping when the engine is cold. I had Mobil 3309 in it before after the factory fill...

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
how did this thread make it to 4 pages??? It should have been one post: YES

Because trannys can be fickle with fluid. There still is no "official" documentation to show approval.
Again JS3309 meets T-IV specs but T-IV specs don't meet the JS3309 spec--real simple. Now it mightbe the same but until someone shows documentation from Toyota have fun.

And lastly AW 1 is not the same fluid at all as the JS3309.

Leaky. consumer auto parts in Framingham carries j
ws 3309. Don t know price. Hyundai. Vera Cruz takes this fluid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back