2001 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a new member here and would like to know what is the best oil to run in my Jeep Wrangler. It's a 2001 4.0 L has 119,000 miles and I use it for my daily driver. I live in Florida and don't drive the car real hard. I've never used a synthetic oil in it and don't off road. I been using 10w-30 with a Mopar factory oil filter, I believe that's what the owners manual recommends.

Also just curious, who makes the Mopar oil now (2013) ?

Thanks.

Rotella T6 5w-40 is an EXCELLENT oil for the 4.0. Has higher zinc, very good add pack and UOAs return good results; the 4.0 tends to like the 40 grade oils.

It's synthetic, but I switched my 2000 4.0 to synthetic in 2010 and it didn't fall apart like everyone says.

I think the filter mounts different on a Wrangler, but if you have the filter mounting parallel to the block, go with a Ford FL-1A filter.

Last edited:
That engine will be happy with anything from a 5w30 to a 10w40. Many on here recommend the Rotella 5w40 synthetic or Rotella 10w30 semi-synthetic for the 4.0L. The 4.0L is a somewhat noisy engine that is more closely related to a tractor engine than the modern gasoline engines in cars of today. Both me and another member on this site have found that Pennzoil Yellow Bottle conventional has made a significant difference in quieting down our engines. I would use the Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 10w30 or 10w40 considering your climate.

The Mopar filters are a good filter made by Purolator to Chrysler specs.

I second the T6. It's $21/gal at Wal-Mart and there's a $5 rebate for two gallons from Shell right now.

On the Rotella shouldn't I use a 10W-30 like the manual says and especially in Florida?

Quaker State DEFY
I'm on my 3rd fill and has seemed to stopped my RMS leak (which to begin with was really only a small weep)

Originally Posted By: Twa717
On the Rotella shouldn't I use a 10W-30 like the manual says and especially in Florida?

You'll be fine with T6. Those engines love the stuff. 5w-40 is fine. If you search around, you'll find a bunch of guys using it in their 4.0 Jeeps with great success.

The 4.0 engine takes 6 QTs. At least my 2001 does. But more oil is better.

AAP has Rotella T6 for $13.49/gallon (less than Walmart), its a sale but not sure for how long. I bought the last 5 gallons at my local store.

I use PP or PU 10W30 in mine.

The engine is bullet proof except for the casting #331 heads that crack, and the piston skirts that crack.

The oil and filter you are using a good combination for your engine and the type of driving you mentioned. I see no reason to change. My 95 GGC was sold running 10w30 std Pennzoil and sold at ~ 180,000 miles running well without any major issues. The only major service, if you call, changing a rear oil seal major was the only thing done to the engine other that normal maintenance. Ed

They do make the Rotella in 10w30, dino (AAP or Napa) and synblend (AAP or Walmart). Would be a great choice as well as PYB which I am currently running. Like jeepman3071 mentioned, for whatever reason PYB runs exceptionally smooth and quiet in my 4.0.

You said you've never used synthetic...so if you decide against the Rotella, I've gotten good UOAs with regular old Valvoline 5w30 in the 4 Jeeps my wife and I have owned with 4.0s. Along with that, I've used Wix and Pure One oil filters, and with a 5000 mile oil change there was still plenty of life in the oil.

The 4.0 is spec'd for 10w30 at higher temps, but I've been using either 5w30 or even 0w30 for several years now with good results. 5w will just get pumped around the engine more quickly at start up than the 10w.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
You said you've never used synthetic...so if you decide against the Rotella, I've gotten good UOAs with regular old Valvoline 5w30 in the 4 Jeeps my wife and I have owned with 4.0s. Along with that, I've used Wix and Pure One oil filters, and with a 5000 mile oil change there was still plenty of life in the oil.

The 4.0 is spec'd for 10w30 at higher temps, but I've been using either 5w30 or even 0w30 for several years now with good results. 5w will just get pumped around the engine more quickly at start up than the 10w.

+1 on the 5W30 choice. But, being you live in FL. 10W30 will work fine there too.
thumbsup2.gif

BTW, what part of FL? I lived in Tampa,FL for 25 years (1987-2012) before moving back to Louisiana.
smile.gif

In all honesty ... it's a 4.0. It will make 300,000 (as long as it doesn't toss a piston skirt or crack a head) regardless of what the oil is.

Originally Posted By: cat843

The engine is bullet proof except for the casting #331 heads that crack, and the piston skirts that crack.

Yeah, except for those two minor details....
lol.gif
Yeah BULLETPROOF....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back