Ford Duratec 2.3L DOHC 5400 miles Redline 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
April 2012 results followed by longer 10K run of Redline 5w20. Key parameters that changed substantially are:

Iron from 54 to 14
Copper from 8 to 2
Silicon from 28 to 15
Sodium from 112 to 17
Base Number from 0.6 to 1.85

April 2013 data for 5400 miles:
oilApril2013_zps7e050320.jpg

(note their report indicates a 5 gallon sump. Whether that entered into their dire comments, I don't know, but it is a 4 qt sump.)

October 2012 data for 10,250 miles on Redline 5w20 (Blackstone Labs):
RangerOilReport.jpg

Reference: Thread discussing October 2012 results.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Looks like Redline shouldn't be used for 10k in this vehicle.

Perhaps so. But these both may represent cleaning out of the original 58,000 miles of buildup, and when I bought it at that mileage it had a Valvoline sticker, which I am told would account for the high sodium on the first Redline run. Anyways, I have some Amsoil 5w20 Signature Series I intend to run in it as soon as I can change it out. Given the Base Number it is time to change it out. I'll reserve Redline for the tranny, differential, and power steering.

BTW: I have asked a mod to move this to the Gasoline UOA forum as I unwittingly posted it in the Diesel UOA forum.

I would use RL in Diff or tranny but I just am not impressed with the use in non racing vehicles considering cost and poor TBN retention. I think you will do well with Amsoil.

Interesting. I'm running 15,000 mile intervals with a 2.0L Duratec in my '09 Focus using the same oil. Blackstone analysis show I can extend the mileage with Redline even further.

Originally Posted By: Cyclops
Interesting. I'm running 15,000 mile intervals with a 2.0L Duratec in my '09 Focus using the same oil. Blackstone analysis show I can extend the mileage with Redline even further.
That is puzzling. Do you have analysis reports? Do you drive it hard? I like to wind it out to 5500 on a regular basis, say almost daily, and typically 3000-4500 on routine stop light take offs.

Even though I don't do UOAs(waste of money in my view)10K OCIs are easy to do with both of my Duratechs. Why be concerned with 10K OCI?

Redline never produces a usable baseline right away. It takes until the 3rd or 4th OCI to see what Redline is going to do in your application.

10K on this oil is going to be fine on the next run would be my guess.

Well it may be that it takes several OCI to get things working well on Redline, but now I have the Amsoil Signature Series and am going to try it. I think Redline is just a tad too pricy for the crankcase. I can get much better pricing on Amsoil.

Also I have become convinced I don't need to spike my zddp (or run Redline which already has high levels of zddp) unless I have a hot rod with high lift cam. There are alternative anti-wear additives in these modern oils to do the job.

Ha! Look at the change. I came here ten years ago a thick head, running 10w40 and boosting zddp to 1200+ ppm and running 3000 mile OCIs. Now I routinely run 5000 mile OCIs on off the shelf oil, and 5w20 oil in the Duratec. Next OCI will be my first without boosted zddp.

If the Redline is making any progress the TBN does not seem to be. Extrapolate that out to 10,000 miles and TBN likely will be far worse than it was on the 10,250 OCI. Pretty low for 5400 miles.

One outside source told me this oil is still good to keep running to 6000 or 7000 miles. Another told me to do a flush before installing the Amsoil. One extreme to the other. Crazy.

Yes, search my post, I don't have a lot so they should be easy to find. I don't run the engine as hard as you but I still find it surprising how quickly your tbn's are tapping out in comparison to mine? Another aspect is the duratec is known to be easy on oils. Anyway, Amsoil is also a goood, I wish you luck with it and we'll be curious to see how it compares.

yeah, and the other thing that is remarkable is the Ranger oil blotters are clean as a whistle through an OCI, cleaner than other vehicles are in only 1000 miles. So did the engine really have that much for the Redline to clean out? But if it is working for you keep at it. The Duratec is a great little engine.

You really cannot fairly compare/contrast two difference reports from two different labs, without knowing about R&R and such. Especially true when it's only singular examples.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
You really cannot fairly compare/contrast two difference reports from two different labs, without knowing about R&R and such. Especially true when it's only singular examples.

Agreed but level or degree of contrast between the two is surprising.

Everyone says you need 3 or 4 runs of Redline before getting a baseline but that could be said with any brand. I really don't think Redline's street oils are that good.

Originally Posted By: buster
Everyone says you need 3 or 4 runs of Redline before getting a baseline but that could be said with any brand. I really don't think Redline's street oils are that good.

Amen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back