2010 Corvette Manual Trans Dexron III 8,200 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed out my factory fill of Dexron III in my 10' Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport. This car has a 6-speed manual Tremec TR-6060 trans with a trans cooler.

The car has seen a few street nights at the dragstrip and a track day at Lime Rock road course.

I refilled the trans witih Amsoil ATD , a "thick" dexron III equivalent with a cst of about 7.4. There was a significant difference for the better in shift quality after changing it, a cold "nibble" on 2nd/3rd was GONE! I understand why many on the corvette forums recommend the switch! I also added a magnetic fill plug while I was down there. I know there is a non-cleanable magnet inside the trans, but I like to be able to see how things are going.
CorvetteTrans-1.jpg

Last edited:
That's horrible! Never mind what those guys at Blackstone say. You must immediately sell the car. It's completely ruined. I'll do you a favor and take it off your hands for $1000.

Last edited:
ATD is Amsoil's top end ATF, meant for TES-295 applications; it is a premium clone fluid. I consider it a top choice for DEX/Merc applications, similar to 204S-AT, AutoTrans-5, etc and other clones.

That in mind, anyone notice that the vis has dropped well towards the bottom of the vis range in only 8k miles?
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cchase
It's a manual transmission, they spec Dex III.

I was wondering if that was why. Thanks!

To clarify, the fluid tested WAS NOT AMSOIL. It was the factory GM fill, I believe GM now classifies DEX III as "Manual Transmission Fluid" part number 88861800. It is supposed to be around a cSt of 7. It sheared pretty bad in a short time.

OK - I see now.

The UOA is on the GM "manual tranny and transfer case fluid" (formerly known as DEX III).

But You "refilled" with ATD, right? You'll be happy with ATD; very robust fluid.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Gearboxes are great machines for shearing oils.

Yes, I have noticed this about the T56es/TR6060s especially.
frown.gif

Mine seems to shear even Red Line MTL VERY quickly, not by any UOA, but by how short a time it takes for it to start whining again after a fresh change (when it was almost silent immediately after said change).

Next time, I might just use 2 quarts of MT85, or even one quart of the MT85 and one quart of the MT90, to go along with the other 2 quarts of MTL, cold weather start out shifting be d****d.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
Didn't want to try a GL-4 fluid like Honda MTF II or Royal Purple Syncromax?

Some (like myself) have had VERY VERY BAD experiences with RP Synchromax in the Tremec 6 speed boxes.

It ground EVERY gear sooo badly at EVERY shift (fast OR slow), that I thought it would kill my synchros/blocker rings witin a half hour of driving.
crazy2.gif

I dumped it the same day I installed it, despite losing the ~$75.00 I paid for the stuff.
frown.gif

My guess is that their 'Synerlec' additive is just way too 'slippery' ) for the Tremec blocker rings.

Wow dailydriver. I'm really surprised to hear that. I am not fan of the purple stuff, but I thought it was specifically developed for the manual transmissions used by the Corvette and F-bodies (previous generation Camaro and Firebird) that call for an ATF thin fluid.

Good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back