Subaru OEM blue oil filter cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHP

Filter pictured is Subaru part#: 15208AA12A
Filter is made by Honeywell/Fram.

Hey guys today I performed the 30,000 mile service on my 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX. Well I know everyone here enjoys filter dissection. So I filmed and took picture of the filter that came off my WRX for you guys.

The oil filter was in service for about 8 months and 7,405 miles. Oil used was PU SN 5w30.

Pleats were pretty consistent except by the joining strip. End caps is glued on very well. Bypass valve seals well and spring seems to be working as it should. ADBV is still very soft and pliable.

I wouldn't hesitate to use this filter again being OEM and seeing how well this particular filter regardless of the end caps.
27.gif

IMG_0550.jpg

Please ignore the washer/gasket on the bypass valve it was not there when initially opened. That washer came from the transmission drain plug and was replaced with a new one. I didn't realize that it ended up there until after images were uploaded lol.

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, Fram. This is a LOT better looking than an off-the-shelf OCOD, though! Seems to be significantly more media with much better pleat spacing.

What camera was used to make the video? Something that clipped on to your glasses?

Nice video, good pics. Cool drain pan too. And some kind of oil perfectly stacked against the wall in the garage! A real BITOGer, alright!

Originally Posted By: Brons2
What camera was used to make the video? Something that clipped on to your glasses?

Nice video, good pics. Cool drain pan too. And some kind of oil perfectly stacked against the wall in the garage! A real BITOGer, alright!

Thanks! Yeah believe it or not 85% of those oil jugs stacked by the wall wasn't there 4 weeks ago. Walmart drove me crazy when they started clearing out PU. So I bought as much as I could. I'm glad I finally joined the BITOGer crew. It's somehow awesome geeking out on oils and filters.
lol.gif

As for the camera it's "NFligtcam Plus" which is an aviation version of "Contour cameras". It's got a special lens to be able to see through aircraft propellers. I use it mainly to document my flight adventures. Now found other useful things to do with it. It's mounted to my head via a head strap.

Last edited:
Any idea what the filter rating is for Subaru Oil Filters? The 6-cylinder in my 2013 Outback has a larger capacity than the 4-cylinder version.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Any idea what the filter rating is for Subaru Oil Filters? The 6-cylinder in my 2013 Outback has a larger capacity than the 4-cylinder version.

Unfortunately I have no idea.
21.gif

Does the new 2013 Outback use the black Toki Roki filters? I think Subaru is using the black Toyo Roki's for some new cars (I think where the oil filter is on top of the engine) and this blue can for others. If so then they're really well made filters. Though I can use it on my car because it doesn't have ADBV.

Yes, it does look similar to a Tough Guard, as does the Fram made Honda A-02. However, thanks to Amsoil ISO testing the A-02 efficiency is now known to ~66%@20um, where the TG is rated ~99%>20um. Until recently many including I thought the A-02 was a TG clone, looks can be deceiving. Doubtful the efficiency of the OP's filter will be known as like many oem's it's proprietary.

Filter looks like it held up nicely for the respectable oci and did it's job. A couple wider pleat spacings in the area of the of the seam pleat, but nothing to get excited about, just noted in the interest of equity. Looks to be a nitrile adbv?

Curious if two guide wheels opposite the cutting wheel in the cutter actually contacted the filter, or just the bar? I have that cutter and that size filter is too small to hit the wheels.

Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Didn't Subaru recently issue a recall on some of these filters?

Hmm... Haven't heard of that one before. Anyone got more info on this? The cause of the recall?

eek.gif
Fram oil filter recall (subaru blue filters)

The filter I installed is affected by this recall.
mad.gif
I replayed the video that I took while doing my oil change and my batch number is "A2191 1". I'm gonna have to take that filter off first thing tomorrow morning.

I was a little bit suspicious when the filter bottomed out 3/4 turn. They usually do not bottom out until around a full turn. Maybe that's the cause of the recall? I'm so angry right now.

I'm gonna have to switch to my PureOne stash faster than I thought.

Last edited:
Leaking gaskets: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2466824

Thanks for the heads up SubLGT! You may have saved my car.

Quote:

Why is a Recall Being Conducted?

Fram Group identified a manufacturing process control issue resulting in a small number of motor oil filters manufactured on certain dates that were produced in a manner which does not allow the filter to fully contact with the engine block. In those instances, the gasket will either immediately fail or fail within 300 miles of operation. A gasket failure results in rapid loss of motor oil. Since the oil filter i
n your vehicle is in close proximity to the hot parts of the vehicle exhaust system, when motor oil contacts the exhaust system, the motor oil can cause smoking and possibly an engine compartment fire. Rapid oil loss may also cause engine damage.

I drove my car ~15 miles after installing the new filter.

39.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Last edited:
Leaking gaskets: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2466824

Great catch, I had forgotten about the Fram recall as it was posted on this board a couple months back. Knowing more about the recall details now, the thing I don't understand is why 'just' recall the uninstalled filters? Clearly many/most wouldn't know if the ones installed were affected unless they happened to have recorded the the number, unlikely. Or if it started leaking within 300 miles of installation as stated in the recall.

In the OP's case however, he should be given free replacement under the recall no matter whether it was installed. The filter is either in the recall for replacement or it isn't, installation status should be irrelevant imo.

The actual number of Subaru filters included in the recall is 282,000. As many Subaru oil filter applications are completely encircled by the exhaust system, fire risk could be the major concern here.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
In the OP's case however, he should be given free replacement under the recall no matter whether it was installed. The filter is either in the recall for replacement or it isn't, installation status should be irrelevant imo.

SOA has a statement that they will provide a replacement filter for those who installed the affected filters. They also will reimburse the dealer for labor if they're the ones to remove the affected filters from service, and finally they also reimburse the owner with 1 quart's worth of oil if oil purchase receipt is presented upon the filter's return.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Looks similar to Fram Tough Guard filter.

And the OEM Honda Honeywell. Looks like it held up well, I just have a hard time running anything with those fiber end caps...

Ok... I removed the recalled filter this morning and installed one of my stashed P1 14612 filters. The recalled filter seems to seal well during removal, but I'm sure it will bother me if I keep it for the rest of the cycle. Better safe than sorry.

My car probably lost ~.25 quart of oil in the process of removing the oil filter. I tell you guys what a mess... I guess it's acceptable for me to do a filter replacement once every 8 months, but not two filters in two consecutive days. I had to remove the aerodynamic shield/skid plate to get to the filter. Then reinstall the whole thing again.

My dealer gave me a good known replacement. I asked them if they got a lot of recall returns and they said "no". They said I was the first one to return a recalled filter(recall was posted first week of February). They told me "good job". They kinda looked at me like a mutant for catching the recall a day after my oil change.

Now I'm curious how many people are actually being affected by these defective filters. How many fires? How many engine failure due to loss of oil?
confused.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back