2010 Prius - What oil to slow down burn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad has a 2010 Prius with 85,000mi on it. It burns almost 1qt every 1,500mi or so. We got the PCV changed but it made no difference. The oil change is coming up so I want to try a different oil to maybe control the consumption a little.

What oil to use though?

It takes 0W20.... I have been using Toyota 0W20 the entire time for this car. I thought of going to PP 5W20 or maybe 5W30?

Not good with the grades and what would be perfectly safe and all that. Need some help
smile.gif

Thanks!

You can get PP 0w20 at Walmart with a $10 rebate for a 5qt jug. But 5w20 will be fine. 5w30 may slow the burning down. If you notice the PP getting real dark after 1500 miles then try doing several 3000 mile OCI's. PP may clean up the engine a bit after 4-5 OCI's.
I would try the 5w20 but the 5w30 won't hurt it.

^ not all oil consumption is volatlity related. In fact, most of the time it's probably not.

Unfortunately, per the manual, that is still an acceptable level of oil consumption.

This is a situation where it is best to simply trade-in the vehicle.

My 2011 is at 59k and consumes about 1/3 qt over the 10,000 mile interval. I do floor it at nearly every stop light (from day 1) so perhaps the harder use is keeping the oil consumption in check?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Unfortunately, per the manual, that is still an acceptable level of oil consumption.

My 2011 is at 59k and consumes about 1/3 qt over the 10,000 mile interval. I do floor it at nearly every stop light (from day 1) so perhaps the harder use is keeping the oil consumption in check?
Sooooooo you buy a "gas saving" car and "floor it" at every stop light? Trade in the vehicle and take the hit because oil consumption is at the high end of the range, without any further investigation? Man, YOU are a well programmed consumer, all right.

Last edited:
If the vehicle was traded in while full, they would have no reason to deduct. Using a CarMax offer to beat around their head helps a little, too.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

Sooooooo you buy a "gas saving" car and "floor it" at every stop light? Trade in the vehicle and take the hit because oil consumption is at the high end of the range, without any further investigation? Man, YOU are a well programmed consumer, all right.

I still get over 40 mpg on every tank, so what's the issue? It's much better than any econobox.

If the consumption bothers the OP, which it clearly does, trading the car is his best option. There's simply no easy fix for that level of consumption.

I still get over 40 mpg on every tank, so what's the issue? It's much better than any econobox.

It is? My mazda3 is averaging over 40 MPGs for the time I have owned it and is currently getting 42 MPG in 60/40 HWY/CTY driving.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I would perform a compression or leakdown test to figure out why it is burning oil.

+1.

Im always amazed how people want to own something as expensive as a vehicle, then apply the 99c fix to it instead of actually diagnosing and getting to the bottom of the symptoms.

The end result may be just that - for example I have a car that just n the highway - no leaks, no smoke, no loss with low-speed ops. But one should at least investigate.

Shame you couldnt run it in electric only mode....you wouldnt burn ANY gas or oil!

Originally Posted By: badtlc

It is? My mazda3 is averaging over 40 MPGs for the time I have owned it and is currently getting 42 MPG in 60/40 HWY/CTY driving.

I seriously doubt that a Mazda 3 (skyactiv or not) would return over 40mpg when driven hard, around town or in Bay Area commuter traffic.

How has the car been maintained? Is it possible extended OCIs as Toyota suggests or a missed maintneance interval may have allowed sludge to develop in rings, and other bad places? If this is a possibility, a few abbreviated OCIs using Mobil1 HM 5w/20 may be worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back