Nissan Altima: P1441 Code, Now Won't Start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I drove 90 miles down the highway when my "Service Engine Soon" light comes on. Car is not running any differently. I continue to the next exit (my destination). I shut off the car at a gas station and fill up the gas tank.

The car starts right up.

I drove 90 miles back to my home. SES light still on when I get home. Turn off car, go inside for dinner. About an hour later, I restart the car. SES light still on. Drive to AutoZone and they pull the P1441 code.....which is a "small EVAP system leak". Never heard of this. It's usually a leak in a vacuum line or charcoal canister or the gas cap isn't on tight...according to Google. No biggie.

Get in my car to drive home. It won't start. It's 9pm and it's dark. I leave the car in the parking lot at AutoZone and come home.

I haven't begun to look at the car yet. I will in the morning. Anyone ever know of a car not to start due to a P1441 code? Maybe it not running now and the code is a coincidence? I have no idea.

I guess first thing tomorrow.....I'll check for the spark and fuel pressure.

Anyone got anything for me?

Hook up a fuel pressure gauge at AutoZone, and key-on engine off to see if pressure flies up quick. Have someone watch the gauge and see if the needle springs up to past 30-35 psi.

Key off and see if the pressure is held for at least 5 or so minutes.

Just got back from AutoZone.

Battery was dead from me cranking it last night. Hooked up jumper cables from my truck to my car. Car started right up.

Ran car over to a mechanic. He put a load tester on the battery. Battery showed 14.3 volts while car running. Alternator is good. But battery only had 305 CCA's. He said battery needs replaced. It is a cheapie battery that is 3.5 years old.

Can a car really have enough "juice" to turn it over when you try to start it, but not enough "juice" to start it? That was new to me.

My SES light is still on. Must have some sort of EVAP leak. But it doesn't appear to be related to my no-start problem last night.

Can a car have enough juice to turn over, but not start? Thanks.

Yes they can have enough juice to make the starter motor move but not enough to fire up the engine. Usually when that happens though you will hear it being slower and things dimming due to the lower amps.

Make sure to get a solid replacement battery, i recommend JCI batteries with the octagonal vent caps.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Make sure to get a solid replacement battery, i recommend JCI batteries with the octagonal vent caps.

That's what I got. An EverStart from Walmart, made by JCI. I'm a Dekka guy, but I had to go with what I could find right now and fairly cheap. Most of their passenger car batteries were rated at 500-600 CCA's for the approximate size I needed. I found one that was rated at 700 CCA's....so I got that one. It was the maximum size that would fit in my OEM battery tray. It was $10 more than the others. About $85.

The battery that was in it was 4 years old and the size was somewhere between a motorcycle/lawn mower battery and a car battery. It was definately on the small size.

I knew the old battery was getting tired. It had been drained dead 4-6 times in the last 3 years. And last night, when it wouldn't start, after the 2nd attempt (3-5 seconds of cranking) it was beginning to fade quickly. Dead this morning.

I had no idea a car could turn over but not start due to a tired battery.

Good move buying a quality battery and fitting a bigger one in the tray.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: stroked93
Your no start will turn out to be a cam sensor.. When it fails completely.

How can you be so sure? If the cam sensor was failing, wouldn't it throw a code?

Besides, the cam position sensor is inside the distributor on this car and it is NOT serviceable. You must replace the whole dizzy. Did you know that?

Sometimes people use the terms camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor interchangeably. Perhaps you meant the Crankshaft sensor? Not sure.

So far, the car has been run all day. Probably a dozen different starts. No problems so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back