Which car to go/which car to stay...VOTE! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we have to get rid of one of our 2 old cars, as one will be replaced by a new one (Details / pics of the new car for wifey will come in a few days in a separate thread)

Here are the 2 candidates from which we must choose one to be our 'beater' / spare car: (and the other one has to go)

1) 97 Tbird - my current 'beater' - our spare car - 167 k miles.

I wanted this to be my 'project car' sometime ago. Was my first 'real' car and I am rather attached. Gas guzzler. RWD.
Engine has an oil leak but don't know the origin. Has 'cult' popularity - American made.
Needs front suspension work - prob. shocks and springs.
Paint is peeling in large patches on all horizontal surfaces - hood/roof/trunk
Has a tiny crack on rear bumper from a rear-ending which was never repaired - no structural damage.
Rather loaded at the time- sport pkg-somewhat rare-moon roof, auto climate control, auto light etc.
Still starts and drives well, not like a new car, but it drives well.
Has bubbling tint in the back window, antenna won't go down all the way, weather strips in the back are coming off.

I have realized that I don't/won't have the time to put into the Tbird as I once planned, to make it a show/project car...
When I think of everything it needs to make it a 'nice' and 'fresh' mechanically and cosmetically, I think it might take more than $6-7k ..
Also, even if i did fix it up nice, it will still have to be parked outside, as we only have a 2-car garage.

2) 2003 Elantra (wife's current DD) - 205k miles.

About 65-70 % (rough guess) of those are hwy miles.
-will be replaced in a few days with a new car.

Like me wife is attached to the car too - no wonder, as it has been dead reliable in its 205k miles - only 1 repair.
Although it has about 35k miles more than the tbird, the car itself is newer...(the dash does have a crack or two which I think i can repair - perhaps not).
Clear coat coming off in small patches on hood and trunk. Less damage than Tbird.

Compared to Tbird, I know exactly what it needs to make it a decent spare/3rd car/beater: a new wheel, CV joints/boots and reattach the rear view mirror properly - that's it. (With the Tbird, I am not sure - I know I can find out, but have a feeling it might be just more than shocks, due to the oil leak somewhere)
Elantra is more suited for the job as it gets about 28-30 MPG average (even without cruise control) - that, IMO is the biggest thing going against keeping the Tbird instead.
As this car has no potential as a show/project car, I don't have to re-paint it, and it can stay outside at any time...and even if i did make this car a bit nicer (looking) it won't cost anywhere near what doing that to Tbird will cost.

..How many miles can we still get out of it? No one knows, but I know a few Elantra owners from the same year/model that have gotten over 300k miles...(from forums, not personally)

----------------------------------------------------

So, there you have it - Tell us what you think, and who gets your vote to stay/go.
If you need any other details I have not mentioned, pls ask.

I want to say tbird but for all practical purposes the hyundai sounds better,

What I would do is price parts on them and make that a factor as well. The bird is probably cheaper to fix.

The Hyundai or you'll have to change your screen name, which sounds loads better than 03 Elantra.

Originally Posted By: ram_man

What I would do is price parts on them and make that a factor as well. The bird is probably cheaper to fix.

Can be true - but it does need some engine work that the Elantra doesn't which might make it more $$ than Elantra
- what do you think about the MPG though? won't the Elantra (30 mpg avg) suit more to be a beater/spare car than the bird (about 22 mpg avg if I am lucky)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Turk
The Hyundai or you'll have to change your screen name, which sounds loads better than 03 Elantra.

LOL never thought of that - true, but I guess I will change it to 05 330Ci in that case..
smile.gif

I remember those T-Birds. I really liked the SC version. If it was me, I would probably keep the T-Bird, but only if I had time and money to work on it. Since you already said you don't have time, you should keep the Elantra and dump the T-Bird. You yourself already admitted that the Elantra is "dead reliable" and more suited for the task of third car. From the way you described the T-Bird, it almost sounds like you would be better off taking out back and shooting it.

If you take the emotion out of it, the Elantra is the car to keep. Alas, when it comes to America and cars, emotion always gets the better of us. I suspect you'll probably keep the T-Bird. Maybe you'll get lucky and the T-Bird will get "stolen" by Overhaulin'.
wink.gif

Keep the Elantra, less money into it, if you've had it a while and put most of the miles on, it should last a long time (being a BITOGer and all). I don't know about the particular engines...it just seems like the TBird requires too much time and effort for a backup car.

Originally Posted By: termigator
I remember those T-Birds. I really liked the SC version. If it was me, I would probably keep the T-Bird, but only if I had time and money to work on it. Since you already said you don't have time, you should keep the Elantra and dump the T-Bird. You yourself already admitted that the Elantra is "dead reliable" and more suited for the task of third car. From the way you described the T-Bird, it almost sounds like you would be better off taking out back and shooting it.

If you take the emotion out of it, the Elantra is the car to keep. Alas, when it comes to America and cars, emotion always gets the better of us. I suspect you'll probably keep the T-Bird. Maybe you'll get lucky and the T-Bird will get "stolen" by Overhaulin'.
wink.gif

well said.... well said..

Most likely the TBird is the one to go. What is your personal situation with kids, job, age and time. If you were retired and did not need a car for yourself everyday and had the money to put into the TBird then I would say keep it. But thats probably not the case. If you have kids at home they deserve your time (and money) rather than a project car. You can always get a project car in the future.

Remember your kids choose your nursing home, so treat them well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Keep the 'bird. What engine is in it?

4.6L

Soo.... 32V swap?
grin.gif

If you dispose of the tbird, your screen name will become invalid and constitute false advertising.

I'd probably keep the Hyundai given the circumstances you described.

Congrats on the new Mazda 6!

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Keep the 'bird. What engine is in it?

4.6L

Soo.... 32V swap?
grin.gif

you're evil...evil, I say!
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald
Most likely the TBird is the one to go. What is your personal situation with kids, job, age and time. If you were retired and did not need a car for yourself everyday and had the money to put into the TBird then I would say keep it. But thats probably not the case. If you have kids at home they deserve your time (and money) rather than a project car. You can always get a project car in the future.

Remember your kids choose your nursing home, so treat them well.

No kids - won't have any - I am 43 now, but started my career sorta late.
Not retiring any time soon
I have the money that can be put into Tbird for a mechanical and cosmetic re-freshening BUT not the time. I won't be doing it myself, so I guess the time is INITIALLY not a big problem,
BUT I will still need the time and money to KEEP IT that way after it's done - THAT'S what I won't have anytime in the near (and even not so near) future...

I just think there are DIY enthusiasts who can probably take better take care of the Bird ...and it certainly deserves it - if I decide bird is the one to go, I will sell it only to someone from tccoa.com who can make it a great car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back