Do I need to keep my grease gun in the fridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seriously thinking about it. Today I finally got around to flushing out my grease gun. Most of the grease was still liquified from last Summer, so it just ran out. I got the grease gun totally spotless. No trace of the previous grease anywhere except for inside the hose. Is there such a thing as a grease that won't melt?
frown.gif

some are MUCH better than others.... make sure you dont go near mobil 1 grease

green grease is pretty good, from tractor supply company

i still have 2 cases of allis charmers grease from my father that dates back to the 1960's and that grease does not turn into liquid and we have used that same stuff on every car and truck we have with no front end problems and lots of miles on every one. Dad used that grease on heavy equipment bulldozers and that kind of stuff.

We store Mobil 1 in the basement and in our unheated (below freezing) garage. Nothing seems to affect the "melting". It's funny, it doesn't "melt" before it's in the gun.

Melting or bleeding? Google: grease oil bleeding for some info.

As mentioned above, some brands seem to be worse than others, but I can't tell you which.
21.gif

Reviewing some of the google sites, all I can find is that grease stores better at constant, non fluctuating temps. (ref. Timken), at room temps (32F to 80F), and this:

" If the grease is left in a grease gun, the grease gun should be depressurized, wiped with a clean cloth to remove any contaminants and stored in a clean, cool, dry area in a horizontal position to keep the oil from bleeding out of the grease."

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/28761/storing-grease-to-avoid-bleed-separation-
http://www.mobil1.lt/galery/_mobil1/Tepalai/alyvos_istekejimas_is_tepalo_angl.pdf

I have some grease bleeding from my guns, but nothing to fret over. I just manage it the best I can. I would imagine storing below 50F would reduce bleeding.

Had a tub of M1 sitting on the shelf for the past year through summer heat and winter cold in the garage with zero seperation. Got it on the close out rack at the parts store so I'm guessing it was pretty old. Works great.

As far as tubes go I've always run Valvoline ford blend with zero issues. Recently switched to Synpower and I have high hopes. Of course make sure you take the spring pressure off the plunger or its more likely to run.

"i still have 2 cases of allis charmers grease from my father that dates back to the 1960's and that grease does not turn into liquid and we have used that same stuff on every car and truck we have with no front end problems and lots of miles on every one. Dad used that grease on heavy equipment bulldozers and that kind of stuff."

Can I still buy this at a dealer? lol. Wish we could.

I have been using Lucas Red and Tacky...which bleeds like a stuck pig when I hang the gun up. My grandfather used to use this yellowish brown grease he got at the coal mine he worked at. I NEVER bled out and was really good stuff for u-joints and bearings on the tractors. Not sure what it was however.

I've started hanging my gun upside down for the meantime until I get rid of this Lucas grease. I'm not buying any more of it for this reason alone.

I've had a gun of QuakerState white marine grease for years. It's never bled out. But I'm not sure how good it would be on automotive applications. At least it's "waterproof".

Last edited:
LE 3752 will not bleed out or liquefy. Its the best grease I have ever used
I am no longer am associated with LE so I'm not hawking their products. Just reporting my own experience. I bought 4 cases when I was with them for my own personal use.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back