Denso 150-1006 [cut-open]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going through my stash. Next up is a Denso off the 94 Accord.

Denso 150-1006

http://imgur.com/a/usoHD

6qeY0Ogh.jpg

qIVoEbr.jpg

8oMP2jAh.jpg

6oV052uh.jpg

3oLNwSgh.jpg

rNZCYP3h.jpg

I've used the DENSO 150-1010 many times and it's one of my favorites. I have cut a few open and every one looked great after being in used for 6000 - 7500 miles.

I had posted pictures in this thread but the pictures were hosted on a provider that I'm no longer with. I should probably upload them to my new PhotoBucket account and repost.

Originally Posted By: cp3
Do we know anything about the efficiency of these?

Not sure about the OP's 150-1006, but DENSO's Technical Services Department told me that the 150-1010 has a 98% efficiency rating at 40 microns. The methods implemented were in accordance with JIS and SAE (J 1858) standards.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Originally Posted By: cp3
Do we know anything about the efficiency of these?

Not sure about the OP's 150-1006, but DENSO's Technical Services Department told me that the 150-1010 has a 98% efficiency rating at 40 microns. The methods implemented were in accordance with JIS and SAE (J 1858) standards.

Thanx, too bad though, would be nice if it was a little better.

The endcap fall off. Now, I don't believe it's an issue because imo the pressure from the retainer spring would prevent any bypass. But, when a Pure One recently showed the same endcap detachment, some folks went off the deep end about how awful it was. Just sayin.

Looks like a well made filter. Denso First Time Fit seem top shelf.

Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted By: martinq
Notice that one of the end-caps has debonded but I don't think it makes a difference.

It doesn't because all the pleats ends are still sealed with the glue - those pleats can't leak even if the metal end plate is gone. Plus, the leaf spring keeps it all tight together.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Notice that one of the end-caps has debonded but I don't think it makes a difference.

It doesn't because all the pleats ends are still sealed with the glue - those pleats can't leak even if the metal end plate is gone. Plus, the leaf spring keeps it all tight together.

Yup - I agree.

Of course, (and this goes a bit off topic here so forgive me), would that logic not also apply to the dreaded OCOD? What matter of concern is a fiber endcap if the material at the end of the pleats is fully blocked by sealant? A leak is a leak, if there is a pathway, regardless of the endcap material. Conversely, a well sealed set of end-pleats really does not care what material (steel, fiber, plastic) does the job. If the sealant is fully spread across all the media so that the pleats are totally encapsulated, then there should be no leak. The endcap is there to achieve two things:
1) provide assistance to the mechanical bond of the sealant while it sets up
2) distribute the pressure load evenly across the end of the pleats

Food for thought; fodder for banter.

Sorry; back on topic now.

Are you sure those end caps are actually stuck to the media firmly on a new filter? The way the Denso filters are made, I'm not sure that the metal caps are glued onto the media in the way most other filters are constructed.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Yup - I agree.

Of course, (and this goes a bit off topic here so forgive me), would that logic not also apply to the dreaded OCOD? What matter of concern is a fiber endcap if the material at the end of the pleats is fully blocked by sealant? A leak is a leak, if there is a pathway, regardless of the endcap material.

The problem I have with "fiber end caps" is that they can warp and cause a leak where the center tube ends are on the end caps. FRAM seems to have a great seal between the ends of the media pleats and the fiber end caps ... but I think their end caps are a bit too thin and can warp. I've seen photos posted in this forum of filters with much thicker fiber end caps (Honda OEM for instance) that look like they stay nice and flat. I don't see a problem with whatever the material is, as long as the end caps stay nice and flat over the OCI.

Some of the other fiber end cap filters, like the SuperTech, actually had issues of having a bad bond between the ends of the pleats and the end caps. Don't think they even used glue ... but some kind of bizarre bonding process that didn't always work. Many people showed how some of the pleats never bonded to the end cap at all.

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
Are you sure those end caps are actually stuck to the media firmly on a new filter?

The other end is firmly adhered. The metal caps are actually formers for the potting/gluing compound during mfg. I don't think they need to maintain the bond once the compound has set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back