'09 Nissan Sentra, Catrol Edge SM Gold Bottle, 15k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filter was a Bosch Distance plus, Oil is 5w-30, engine has 85k on it, and there was no make-up oil. Nissan 2.0 Automatic, mostly highway driving. About 8 months since last oil change.

Blackstone Comments

We're not sure if this was the 5W/30 version of Castrol Edge or not, so the viscosity may or may not be
out of line. If this was a 5W/30, then the increase might show the oil is starting to thicken a little. That's
probably not related to the increased wear we found this time. Instead, silicon may be more of a factor if
it's from dirt, so check the air filter. We highlighted aluminum last time it read at 6 ppm, but that oil was run
just 4,100 miles. This oil has 15,000 miles on it, so a little more wear is okay. The TBN was mildly low at
1.5, so try just 16,000 miles next time.

Aluminum 6
Chromium 1
Iron 15
Copper 4
Lead 4
Tin 1
Moly 104
Nickel 0
Manganese 1
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 4
Boron 25
Silicon 42
Sodium 9
Calcium 3356
Magnesium 19
PHOSPHORUS 732
ZINC 910
BARIUM 0

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 11.36
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 64.1
Flashpoint in °F 375

I got nearly identical results with Pennzoil Ultra. Same OCI, same comment about silicon, same TBN, wear metals very similar, as well as viscosities. Next up: MPT Industries 30k.

Last edited:
I commend you for getting the most out of your lubes! The top tier Castrol did well IMO. Did SM have titanium in it, or is that an SN thing? I see there in none on the UOA but some additives will deplete with time so I was curious.

I just put a fill of this in SN in my wife's KIA but will only be able to run it 7k or so due to warranty.

I don't know it's accurate to say he's getting the "most" out of his lube choice.

However, I commend him on getting more out of his syn that many BITOGers do.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I commend you for getting the most out of your lubes! The top tier Castrol did well IMO. Did SM have titanium in it, or is that an SN thing? I see there in none on the UOA but some additives will deplete with time so I was curious.

I just put a fill of this in SN in my wife's KIA but will only be able to run it 7k or so due to warranty.

Gold SN 5w30 has titanium and Gold SM 5w30 does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back