Oil recommendation Nissan Altima 2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recent purchase for normal driving, mostly highways. The dealer suggested 3750 OCI bit I will be using a synthetic. Specs 0W20 which is a new grade to me. Hoping for a 7500 mile OCI.

Any advise is appreciated and if there are fellow drivers with this engine please advise.

We would need to know how it is operated.

City, Hwy? How long of a trip?

Is this a 2013? With the new motor (and it being DI'd) I'd suggest following the manual to the letter just in case.

Nice vehicle! Keep us informed on how you like it.

Bill

I have the QR25DE in my 2008 Altima Coupe. That year specs SM 5W-30. My intervals have been as follows:
  • 4000 Miles - Factory Fill
  • 6000 Miles - Valvoline SynPower 5W-30 SM
  • 6000 Miles - Valvoline SynPower 5W-30 SM
  • 6000 Miles - Castrol EDGE 5W-30 SM
  • 6000 Miles - Castrol EDGE 5W-30 SM (See UOA)
  • 7500 Miles - Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 SM
  • 7500 Miles - Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 SM (See UOA)
  • 6000 Miles - G-OIL 5W-30 SM
  • 6000 Miles - G-OIL 5W-30 SM (See UOA)
  • 7500 Miles - Royal Purple 5W-30 SN
For UOA references, look here.

Nissan suggests intervals of 3750 miles for severe conditions and 7500 for normal. If you're doing a lot of highway driving and plan to run synthetic, I'd say do 6000 or 7500 miles. I was doing 6000 until I got a UOA which showed I could do more. (I did 6000 with G-OIL because it was relatively new and less-proven.)

I don't know how much the latest QR25DE and its setup differs from my 2008, but if Nissan now spec's 0W-20, I'd say to use it or 5W-20. If you think it sounds noisy or has the desire for something a bit thicker, you could try 0W-30 or 5W-30. Other than a tiny loss in MPG, I can't imagine it'd make a difference considering recent prior years spec'd 5W-30 for that engine.

You also have some choices with filters. Spec is the "shorty" Fram 6607, Purolator 14612, K&N HP-1008, Mobil 1 M1-108 size filter. But many of us Nissan owners opt for the slightly longer Fram 7317, Purolator 14610, K&N HP-1010, Mobil 1 M1-110 size filter. Really though, I don't think it makes a difference. My main driver for using the longer filter is that it's the same size as the two other vehicles I maintain so I only have to keep one size in stock.

I run only Mobil 1 5W-30 in my VQ 40 in my 2007 Frontier and have had no oil issues with it in about 50,000 miles. I would therefore suggest Mobil 1 0W-20. MAKE SURE you follow the recommended oil change interval under warranty!

Ran 5w-30 dino in two 2.5 altimas @ 5k mile OCI with no problems whatsoever here in Florida...both got topped off @ 2500 miles with 1/2 qt of any oil on sale and got changed @ 5k.

Sold one @ 175k and the other got rearendtotaled @ 195k...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: walk23
Recent purchase for normal driving, mostly highways. The dealer suggested 3750 OCI bit I will be using a synthetic. Specs 0W20 which is a new grade to me. Hoping for a 7500 mile OCI.

Any advise is appreciated and if there are fellow drivers with this engine please advise.

The year of your Altima may help in this situation along with the current mileage
smile.gif

I have an '04 but, I am sure that anything newer than '06 would have changed since the '02-'06 versions, i.e. '07-present!

Use to do 10k oci on my EX's 06 2.5 Altima with m1 ep and m1 oil filter. Car used little to no oil and was driven 85% hwy.

It is a 2013 with the 2.5 engine. I would think 75 % of my miles are highway driven. I went by Wal-Mart and the only oil of that weight was by Mobil 1 in the Advanced fuel economy flavor. I have used PP with good success in a Toyota Matrix with good success.

Reviewing the "Capacities and Recommended Fuel/Lubricants" section of the 2013 Owner's Manual, spec is 0W-20 but there's a footnote that states, "As an alternative to this recommended oil, SAE 5W30 conventional petroleum based oil may be used and meet all specifications and requirements necessary to maintain the New Vehicle Limited Warranty."

I think that there gives you a broader set of options based on availability and your preference. You should be fine in all ways (i.e. mechanically and from a warranty perspective) to use 0W-20, 5W-20, 0W-30, or 5W-30.

It is a 2013 with the 2.5 engine. I would think 75 % of my miles are highway driven. I went by Wal-Mart and the only oil of that weight was by Mobil 1 in the Advanced fuel economy flavor. I have used PP with good success in a Toyota Matrix with good success.
WM near me carries PP 0w20 but a second one does not. You can use WM web site to see if any other WM near you caries it or if the one near you is currently out. You can then ask for a email when it comes in.

I will check their website. With more car mfg. recommending 0-20W hopefully the local WM will begin carrying this weight.

Was able to pick up 3 jugs of PU 5W20 and use this for 7500 mile OCI's.

I believe that will work very well for you. Although I had used the 5W-30 variation, it ran great in my QR25DE and produced a very good UOA after 7500 miles.

Ok, after talking to Nissan Corporate today I took my '13 Altima back to the dealer. They drained out the 5W-30 and put in 0W-20 at their expense.

Corporate told me to use 0W-20 period.

The 2013 has a smaller oil pump and smaller oil galleys. When trying to pressure up higher viscosity oils (than recommended) the oil pump and galleys don't handle it as well leading to an oil starvation problem in the engine leading to premature crankshaft wear.

This from a post in an Altima forum for the 2013 by a Robert

Ok, after talking to Nissan Corporate today I took my '13 Altima back to the dealer. They drained out the 5W-30 and put in 0W-20 at their expense.

Corporate told me to use 0W-20 period.

The 2013 has a smaller oil pump and smaller oil galleys. When trying to pressure up higher viscosity oils (than recommended) the oil pump and galleys don't handle it as well leading to an oil starvation problem in the engine leading to premature crankshaft wear.

This from a post in an Altima forum for the 2013 by a Robert

That sounds a bit overdramatic IMO. Sure it has a smaller pump and galleys, but using a 30 grade isnt gonna starve the motor.

Easy oils to find: Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 or Quaker State Ultimate Durability 0w-20.

For more fun you could hunt down some Toyota Genuine or Mazda w/ Moly 0w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back