cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 52.9

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 8.16

Flashpoint in °F 415

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0

Water % 0.0

Insolubles % 0.2

Blackstones COMMENTS

The new 5.0L V-8 seems to be a nicely wearing engine for Ford and yours is no exception at 39,083 miles. Wear metals are low across the board and look great compared to universal averages. They show typical wear levels for this type of engine after about 4,900 miles on the oil. You ran more than twice that long and still got low wear. Impressive. The viscosity was normal for 5W/20 and low insolubles and silicon show good oil and air filtration. The flashpoint shows no measurable fuel dilution. Keep up the good work.

Looks great. 2qts of makeup oil helped. I assume that's normal for the engine/mileage?

It has been pretty much consistent at a quart every 5K. The old filter came off easily with oil on the outside, so some of that might have been leakage. I made sure the new filter got one full turn. I'll see how that ends up at the next oil change.

Awsome car with awsome results!
thumbsup2.gif

15K miles should be fine if you use a long life oil filter as the oil is still in good condition. An engine of this size is under very light loads in the US unless you go racing, so it won't chew the oil up too fast unless you get stuck in traffic or short tripping. If you extend the OCI it would be good to know the TBN next time.

Last edited:
Nice report, good oil in a clean/good engine products stellar result.

If engine consistently uses 1-qt every 5k and you like to keep 10k OCI, you should add 1/2 qt every 2.5k, at 2.5k then 5k and last at 7.5k, then change oil and filter at 10k.

I had read that some of the 5.0's burned some oil. My friends 13, however burns none. Maybe a tighter filter will help. As long as it stays consistent that is not excessive.

Excellent results. Thanks for sharing. What were the driving conditions?

I do not plan to extend the OCI beyond the factory recommendation of 1 year, 10k, or when the IOLM indicates (Especially while still under powertrain warranty). That is why I did not get the TBN. I did run the IOLM to 0% plus a couple of days.

I'm staying with the FL500S for now. I have not found one filter that cross references to it that has a thread-end bypass. I've been able to get them for $5 from a Ford dealer close to my office that sells them right out of the 12pack boxes.

I have been checking the oil level every 1k and keeping a log of where it was on the dipstick. I will add 1qt if it reaches the bottom of the crosshatch. Before every long road trip I will add whatever is necessary to bring it to the top of the crosshatch (I estimate ~ 1qt per 10mm).

This is my daily driver. It is not raced. I estimate my overall driving is about 35% city / 65% highway.

Originally Posted By: skyship
15K miles should be fine if you use a long life oil filter as the oil is still in good condition. An engine of this size is under very light loads in the US unless you go racing, so it won't chew the oil up too fast unless you get stuck in traffic or short tripping. If you extend the OCI it would be good to know the TBN next time.

33.gif
Ford has a maximum OCI of 10K on this engine. A 5.0L putting out 415hp stock is not a "light load" yes the engine is built very well but thats still a good hp/l for a stock car.

Where are all of the thin oil haters on this oil??

Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: skyship

33.gif
Ford has a maximum OCI of 10K on this engine. A 5.0L putting out 415hp stock is not a "light load" yes the engine is built very well but thats still a good hp/l for a stock car.

Where are all of the thin oil haters on this oil??

The engine doesn't put 415 HP all the time. Only when he floors it and gets the rpm up to 6500. When he's cruising down the highway at 70-75 mph and 1800 rpm, the engine is making about 30 hp. This is why he can go 10k miles between oil changes.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
The thin is not in crowd does not have a leg to stand on in this situation.

Correct. Ford has adequate nannies in place (like neutering the engine when the oil temps get too high) that 5w-20/0w-20 is perfectly safe in this application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back