Mobil1 & First Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read many threads and recommended tons of people to the site for years. This is my first post. I own 2 Mustangs. The 3.8L V6 has 300,000 miles on it. The 4.6 Cobra has 73,000 miles on it. I have only used 5W-30 Mobil1 ES oil in my vehicles. Last oil change I decided to put Mobil1 High Milage in the V6. My question: My first oil change with the Cobra is coming up, (previous owner only used Motorcraft semi-synthetic)and I planned on using Mobil1 High Mileage.
-Go with Mobil1 HM or Mobil1 ES??

go with Mobil 1 extended performance for you cobra i would not use Hm oil in a car with that many miles unless it leaked or burnd oil bad

Originally Posted By: Donald
+1 on the waiting for HM oil until until its needed (and then some).

01.gif
76k is nothing. Wait a while

M1 HM is a good oil via VOA. Shows to have a higher TBN and a stronger add pack. I've used M1,EP,and HM and the HM ran the smoothest of them all. I'm guessing the HM additive is something as simple as an ester.

You didnt say what year the Cobra was but keep in mind Mobil1 HM is "SL" rated. If your Cobra is a 2005 or later it will be spec'd for SM or SN. And of course M1 HM is not available in 5w/20, which is specified for most 2000+ Fords.

Many here would say it doesn't matter, but just to be sure youre aware.

Thank you everybody. Yes, I meant to say Mobil1 Extended Performance. The Cobra is a 1996 4.6 DOHC (73K miles). I had read that the high mileage version of Mobil1 had a great additives package. I will surely use the Extended Performance over the High Mileage if that is the consensus.

In addition, as a FYI-
*Both Mustangs use Mobil 1 engine oil, Mobil 1 transmission fluid, Amsoil differential gear fluid, K&N or Mobil1 oil filters, Militec-1, all exclusively.

Last edited:
Redline 5w-20. Dont let the 20 grade fool you, its thicker than Mobil 1 5w-30 EP.

Superior additives, however its better suited for ~5k-7k drains

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
RP 5W20 HPS would be a good oil for your Cobra.

I am open to suggestions, that's why I'm here. I bought the car 2 weeks ago. It will be my first oil change for the car coming up and I plan to stick with what I choose is best for this engine, which I have never run before.

Originally Posted By: RobbS
Thank you everybody. Yes, I meant to say Mobil1 Extended Performance. The Cobra is a 1996 4.6 DOHC (73K miles). I had read that the high mileage version of Mobil1 had a great additives package. I will surely use the Extended Performance over the High Mileage if that is the consensus.

Your OHC engine does not need the extra ZDDP in M1HM like a non-roller (flat tappet) OHV engine would. M1EP would be a fine choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Redline 5w-20. Dont let the 20 grade fool you, its thicker than Mobil 1 5w-30 EP.

Superior additives, however its better suited for ~5k-7k drains

And an insane price tag. I also question the extended drains. I think it is good stuff but mroe for a racing application.

Since you know from experience the quality of M1 oils, I would stick with the EP variety. What is your OCI?

There's a really good Mustang thread here someplace where they compared M1 and RP. Not sure if it was a Cobra or not,but he'd probably be a good member to chat with about your car.

Thank you. I am changing it every 7500+ miles or 5 months. The Extended Performance has done me right in all of my other vehicles over the years. Things change with oil technology I know, always want to hear opinions especially in regards to engine specific experience. Thanks again.

I would concur. The add-pack is quite nearly on-par with EP. Excellent choice for either vehicle.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
M1 HM is a good oil via VOA. Shows to have a higher TBN and a stronger add pack. I've used M1,EP,and HM and the HM ran the smoothest of them all. I'm guessing the HM additive is something as simple as an ester.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back