Best flowing oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys & gals,

Just wondering, I am looking to find the best flowing filter on the market right now.
My car is a 08 nissan versa 1.8 engine>:)

I was thinking of K&N for best flow, but I am open to ideas.

Thanks

OEM filters for Japanese brands usually favor flow over filtration.
This would probably be true for your Versa.
You could order the OEM filters online for probably half the cost of a K&N.

why would you want best flowing as opposed to good filtration? it's not like your versa is going to put down so much power as to starve the engine of oil. i can see oil flow being important in some sports cars, but not yours.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
This would probably be true for your Versa.
You could order the OEM filters online for probably half the cost of a K&N.

^^^ what he said^^^^^^^

This site is always amazing - too much opinion - you ask a question and get an answer and 2 cents - why would you want best flowing as opposed to good filtration? it's not like your versa is going to put down so much power as to starve the engine of oil. i can see oil flow being important in some sports cars, but not yours.

Seriously>:)

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Agreed.

While the K&N is a high-quality filter, if your primary concern is flow over efficiency, the OEM filter will be equally good at a much lower cost.

Originally Posted By: nicholas
Hey guys & gals,

Just wondering, I am looking to find the best flowing filter on the market right now.

Thanks

Get a M1 or Amsoil oil filter. You want the best filter, not one specific to high flow.

This site is always amazing - too much opinion - you ask a question and get an answer and 2 cents.

Any good brand filter will flow way more than that engine's oil pump can supply. Go with a PureOne if you want it based on real data.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...451#Post1619451

If you want even better flow, you might get a bit less PSID using a full synthetic media filter.

And actually, any filter will flow all the oil from the oil pump as long as the oil pump is not in pressure relief mode. Only time an engine can "see" how restrictive the filter is, is when the engine is at high revs and the oil is cold and the pump is in pressure relief mode and shunting excess flow back to the sump.

Zee said it right. The whole idea of searching for "flow" in a filter is a flawed concept. Once the system is pressurized, the filter is way down on the list of the internal oil flow restriction inside the engine.

Search for posts from the late, great Gary Allan (RIP). He had some great illustrations that showed this concept in action.

jkhawaii,+2....mine flows 57 gpm..far more then needed...no filter related engine drag..fast lubebracation on initial startup on frigid days..

Last edited:
A PureOne will give you better than average flow AND filtration. Win - win.

A synthetic fiber filter will also.

I went through an experimentation phase with my Jeep on this, in the end I found it made no difference whatsoever, that I was able to discern anyway. ADBV's, that's another story!

Hey guys & gals,

Thanks

You being open to ideas, here are my thoughts:

1) at least you didn't completely lay open the topic to total chaos, and instead opened it only partial chaos, because you somewhat refined your question (you asked about the "best flowing filter" rather than "best filter")

2) that being said, you can easily look up the specs yourself for any product line that is willing to offer up data to the public; be forewarned that much of the data is "whitewashed" in that they typically only post info for one sample filter (often one that is shown in good light for them)

3) Zee and Jim are correct; most any filter flows probably 2x more volumetric mass (estimated average) than any typical pump is going to push; how much any one brand of filter "flows" more than another is moot when they all flow way more than required

4) in a high-rpm, dedicated racing engine, flow might be a deciding factor, but in a typical on-road engine, efficiency and lifecycle are more important than "flow"

Last edited:
thanks for backing me up guys. nicholas, i wasn't trying to be snobby, i was just wondering why you had your mind stuck on "best flow". like KC said, i would recommend a pureone for a normal OCI, for a combination of excellent efficiency and good flow. if you are doing extended OCIs, any synthetic media filter should have above average flow.

No worries - like many people here I like to try new things and tinker - I was reading, on here, of a member who used a k&n oil filter in his wrangler and noticed a difference in the way the engine felt/drove.

I too would like like to try this on my MR18DE engine - with many reported valve train/engine block problems - I thought flow would be better than low micron rating.

My apologies for writing frustrated - I just wanted a few suggestions for filters that people figured would be "hi-flow" - I did not want to justify my intentions - Being a member of this site for 8+ years now I understand all of the BITOG oil workings - Take care all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back