What does Low-SAPS and Sulphated Ash% mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need an explanation of SAPS and also Sulphated Ash, and what they mean.

From the Shell web page:
Shell Rotella T Triple Protection 15w40 (CJ-4)
Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_Local_TDS_Canada_Shell_Rotella_T_Triple_Protection_15W-40_%28CJ-4%29_%28en-CA%29_TDS_v1.pdf

Shell Rotella T Triple Protection oil uses the latest "Low-SAPS" additive technology to protect under the most severe conditions found in modern low emission engines.

What does SAPS mean?
And also I seen 2 heavy duty oil specs, one with a Sulphated Ash% of 1, and the other a Sulphated Ash% of 1.36

What is Sulphated Ash? and is sulphated ash good or bad.
And will the 1.36% ash oil harm my motorcycle?

SAPS stands for Sulphated Ash, Phosphorous, Sulphur.

Low SAPS basically will show up as lower sulphated ash level on a spec sheet. 1.36 would be full SAPS. 1 would be mid/lower SAPS.

Lower levels of SAPS are desired in order to protect modern day emissions systems. The way lower SAPS is achieved is typically by reducing the additive levels in the oil.

Here is some more info on what sulphated ash is and how it's measured:
http://www.swri.org/4org/d08/global/sulfash/

Low SAPS (Sulphated Ash, Phosphorus, Sulphur) oils are intended for diesel exhaust aftertreatment systems, like a DPF or SCR/urea system. The higher SAPS oils are actually longer lasting due to the higher initial TBN (acid neutralizing ability) of the engine oil. Do a search for more information, but IMHO 1.36% SA oil won't hurt.

Low Saps oils do have lower initial TBN, but most if not all of the low saps oils in use in Europe are also used in extended drains.

I think it is unlikely that millions of miles a year are driven round Europe in vehicle with complete TBN depletion.

My Pathfinder for example has a standard OCI of 18k miles or 2 years it uses low/mid saps C3 ACEA spec oil in 5w30 viscosity.

I don't run it as long as that and am currently running a C3 in 5w40 viscosity as a trial, the engine was specced for 5w40 previously and I am going to compare the UOA of both oils later this year, already have a 5k mile sample of 5w30, have a couple of thousand miles to go before next OCI is due.

The next OCI in the Clio is going to be with the oil specs for the FAP (Renault name for dpf) version of the K9K 1.5 dci engine, which is a C3 oil in 5w30 rather than the current choice of 0w40, 5w40 or 10w40 in A3/B3/B4. Going to sample the current oil 10w40 Maxlife Diesel synth blend at 5/6k and compare numbers after 5/6k.

Hoping to improve fuel economy slightly.

Unless you have a catalytic converter-equipped engine and are burning oil, the 1.36 SAPS oil will not hurt anything. You want a heavy duty, shear-resistant oil to protect your engine and transmission with shared sump. Either a CI-4+ or CJ-4 15W-40 HDEO will work fine for this. Another option would be a synthetic 5W-40 HDEO. There are several motorcycle-specific oils out there that are really good, but cost $10 or more a qt. M1 15W-50 might be a less expensive, yet really good option as well. Has additional anti-wear additive and a bump up in viscosity for hot weather and a higher starting point for shear.

european gas is cleaner than in the us but $$$ i know. in USA they spec watery 5-20 oils as my girlfriends 13 DI chevy malibu. after first change at 1,000 miles with a dexos 1 spec semi synthetic oil. i added about a qt by 3,000 usage by another 1,000 it wanted more, that would be 5,000 on the clock, dumped it + put a real oil in Amsoil 5-30 signature series, now at 11,000 on the clock NO oil added. surely a full saps oil that is not used at all is better than the spec pea water. suspect GM + other manufacturers are more interested in the half MPG, care less about engine once warranty is gone!!!

If we're talking HDEOs here, ACEA E9 lubes are considered mid-SAPS, at least according to ACEA and Lubrizol terminology for HDEOs, which isn't necessarily the same as gassers.

Much of the information in this thread is dated. Any CJ-4 lube that also meets ACEA E9 (which includes the Rotella 15w-40 and much of the competition) will have an SA of 1.0 or less. Perhaps this is where the magnesium detergent usage has come through in Rotella. All the current versions of Rotella 15w-40 in CJ-4 (whether they're called T5, T3, or Triple Protection) now show SA at 1.0 and TBN of 10 or greater, which is in accordance with ACEA E9 (although the T5 doesn't seem to show E9 on its sheet).

Sulfated ash is an artifact of the lab testing process. Sulfuric acid is mixed into an oil sample, it is baked in a testing oven, the process repeated, and the residue weighed. This test gives an indication of the amount of material left in motor oil that does not burn. It does not differential between the types of ash. Some is abrasive, and some if fluffy and not abrasive. In any case, don't worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back