Dexos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy. Mobil has money. They bought into Dexos. That simple really. Most oils would likely meet Dexos anyhow, they just don't pay for the testing.

Originally Posted By: RiceCake
Easy. Mobil has money. They bought into Dexos. That simple really. Most oils would likely meet Dexos anyhow, they just don't pay for the testing.

I would think there is more to it than that. Ash,Zinc, minimum and maximum HTHS,detergency,ETC.........

Yep just like all those VW, JASO-MA and BMW specs are worthless. You really posted a reply like that??

Last edited:
I'm with Ricecake.

Really most synthetic oils would meet the specs, but there are a lot who are not willing to pay the license which is absurdly expensive. Pennzoil Ultra is a good example, IIRC Ashland stopped paying after a year or so and now Synpower is the same product without the logo on the bottle.

Somewhere, IIRC on the lubrizol site, there are some spider graphs you can compare the specs.

Edit... Buster you read my mind.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory

Yep just like all those VW, JASO-MA and BMW specs are worthless. You really posted a reply like that??

I don't think that's what RiceCake meant. To my understanding, dexos1 and dexos2 are the only large-scale oil specifications that are licensed. That is, bottlers must pay General Motors a licensing fee to print the dexos1 or dexos2 logo on the bottle. I don't believe any of the other specifications, including the various Volkswagen and BMW specifications, require licensing fees.

As noted before, dexos1 doesn't appear all that difficult to meet. It looks very similar in nature to ACEA A1/B1. Most synthetic blends and synthetics meet it. It does appear, however, that most conventional-labeled oils do not meet either (ACEA A1/B1 or dexos1). I don't know the NOACK requirements in either of the dexos specifications, if there are any, but each of the ACEA specifications require a NOACK of less than 13%. This is likely why many conventionals don't meet it.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
As noted before, dexos1 doesn't appear all that difficult to meet.

Looking at the diagram, and assuming even a rough comparison is possible, any SN/GF-5 oil that also is A1/B1 would meet dexos1. But, getting people to look for ACEA specs would be difficult.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back