2014 Tiguan (and Toureg) R Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.vwvortex.com/news/volkswagen-news/naias-2013-tiguan-r-line-and-touareg-r-line/

tiguan-r-line-1-e1357857417729-960x511.jpg

Also interesting.

If anyone goes to the NAIAS some real live pictures would be interesting

Quote:
The Touareg R-Line and Tiguan R-Line models feature an aggressive appearance package and interior enhancements that provide an all-around dynamic and sporting appearance. Volkswagen R GmbH has developed the R-Line for drivers who want the sporty and aggressive styling of the Volkswagen R models, but without the additional engine performance.

That's it? What about some extra "go" to complement this "show"? Disappointing, IMO.

Typical VW, they look amazing. They make some of the best looking cars out there, always have. (VW, Audi)

I am debating going to NAIAS this year so if I do I will get some pics.

Unlike the Passat, I think they missed the mark on the exterior styling of this one. Would be a lot nicer with even a slightly larger grill. Maybe make it more Audi-like and extend the grill down through that flat spot on the bumper.

Last edited:
There has always been something about the Tiguan styling that is a little off or unbalanced to me. It seems very color dependent as well.

But I generally like the R-Line treatment and it does already have 200HP GTI motor.

I suppose it is possible that once the MKVII GTI is available that engine may trickle into the other parts of the line?

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
There has always been something about the Tiguan styling that is a little off or unbalanced to me. It seems very color dependent as well.

For me, it's the third window area, the D-pillar, the relatively large rear tire clearance, and the very short rear overhang. It makes the whole car look like it's leaning forward to me, like in a perpetual state of brake dive.

its one of the smallest, expensive and unpractical of all the mini suv's out there.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

For me, it's the third window area, the D-pillar, the relatively large rear tire clearance, and the very short rear overhang. It makes the whole car look like it's leaning forward to me, like in a perpetual state of brake dive.

I agree it has to do with the rear overhang vs front overhang, I've always thought the european versions looked better with the "track" package (I think that is what it is called) which has a front bumper that allows a steeper approach. This one looks like it may have that bumper, but I also remember reading that there would probably no longer be two versions when it was restyled a year or two back.

I like the rake.

I think a lot of the small SUVs have some awkwardness in the D pillar.

Disappointing that its just an appearance package. VWoA makes some lousy decisions on the line of engines they offer over here. In Europe the Tiguan has tons of powertrain options, many being fuel efficient.

Considering how pricey the Tiguan gets when you start tacking on the options (it's absurd), you would at least expect the R-line to have similar performance to the Golf-R that was just released this past year.

I mean all it needs is a performance tune, right? Put things around 270hp/270tq.
--------------------
As for exterior styling, I like them. A lot depends on the color, and I feel it's one of those "looks better in person" kind of vehicles.

Here's mine:
272a82c94f7945517789ad3763b9c4bf.jpg

If you're okay with the base model (which still has a bunch of good features IMO) it's a solid buy.

As stated in the Article:

Quote:
Volkswagen R GmbH has developed the R-Line for drivers who want the sporty and aggressive styling of the Volkswagen R models, but without the additional engine performance.

The whole thing about the R-Line is that it is appearance, that is the difference in R-Line and R. Historically I don't think the Golf R has sold well here and I seriously doubt that a Tiguan R (which isn't available anywhere AFAIK) would do any better.

I also don't think that most buyers would expect it to have Golf R performance, although I do admit that it would be very cool and would interest me. I also think a VR6 4 motion would be cool, but you know it would cost nearly as much as a base Toureg and they would probably sell zero.

The options do add up fast granted.

The only really disappointing thing about the engine lineup in the US to me is the lack of TDIs across the board. BUT they already offer more than anyone else and they don't lock you into a single trim to get it, so It is hard to complain a lot.

One interesting thing is that the Jetta Hybrid apparently has a 1.4TSI so if that engine is already certified we may see expanded use in the future. With the new 1.8t, new 2.0t and new 2.0TDI the engine line up is looking pretty good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back